|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2010)|
Originally the title was conferred by the Ahom kingdom of medieval Assam. The Assamese community has a naming system which is loosely based on their ancestors' profession during Ahom kings' reign. During Ahom reign, Hazarika was commander over 1000 soldiers (Hazar=1000). The surname is common to Hindu and Muslim in Assam. The surname belongs to Bagh Hazarika whose wealthy descendants historically had extensive land holdings in Assam. The surname belongs to Kshatriya caste commonly known as "Kalita" caste in Assam.
Notable Hazarika people
- Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, Musical legend
- Jogendra Nath Hazarika, Indian politician, Chief Minister of Assam
- Chitrabon Hazarika
- Bagh Hazarika, 17th century figure from Assam
- Atul Chandra Hazarika (1903–1986), Assamese litterateur from Assam. ...
- Mrinal Hazarika
- Balaram Hazarika, Assamese animal tracker
- Pritam Hazarika (born 1969), Indian cricketer.
- Dhruba Hazarika (born 1956), Indian novelist
- Axl Hazarika
- "Language in India". languageinindia.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "centurion meaning - definition of centurion by Mnemonic Dictionary". mnemonicdictionary.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Hazarika. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
|This name-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|