Brooklyn, New York
|Occupation||Minister and televangelist|
|Employer||Trinity Broadcasting Network|
|Hazem Farraj's website|
Hazem Farraj is a writer, minister, and televangelist. He is currently the host of the TBN show Reflections.
In 1984 Farraj was born in Brooklyn to a Palestinian-American family. At the age of twelve his father moved Farraj and his twelve siblings back to Palestine, settling in the East Jerusalem suburb of Beit Hanina. While living in the suburb he attempted to convert a Christian family to Islam, but instead found himself attaching himself more closely to Christianity than Islam. He converted around the age of 15, but kept it a secret from those around him. In 2000 the family moved back to the United States. After a few years he revealed his conversion to his father, who disowned him. Farraj then moved to Alabama to seek the help of the family that had converted him while living in Palestine. He briefly considered changing his name to Adam, however he has said he believes God sent a message to him to "stop running from your culture" soon afterwards, which caused him to change his mind.
Farraj first discovered televangelism while watching television in Jerusalem, and decided to use televangelism to try and convert Muslims to Christianity. Today he is the televangelist for the satellite broadcast Trinity Broadcasting Network show Reflections, which reaches six different satellite networks and the full TBN network. The television show is broadcast in both English and Arabic. Many of his targeted areas are the Muslim areas of Palestine as well as other parts of the Arab world and culture. Because of his views on Islam as an ex-Muslim, Farraj is the subject of threats against his life and has not spoken to his father, step-mother, or siblings since revealing his conversion. He has said that he believes "Christian media is so crucial because it’s one of the most powerful ways to preach in anti-Christian nations".
- Linda Gradstein (April 2, 2013), ‘Ex-Muslim’ preaches the Gospel, Jerusalem Post, retrieved June 13, 2013
- Lianne Laurence (April 9, 2013), Don’t give up on the Middle East, a convert pleads, The Christians, retrieved June 13, 2013
- "Palestinian Christians’ Christmas. Four stories of sufferings and hope". Frontier News. December 25, 2012. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "‘Ex-Muslim’ preaches the Gospel". TruNews. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Exclusive Interview with Hazem Farraj Host of Reflections Program, Linga.org, March 4, 2013, retrieved June 13, 2013