Heads You Win–Tails I Lose
|"Heads You Win–Tails I Lose"|
|Song by The Beach Boys from the album Surfin' Safari|
|Released||October 1, 1962|
|Recorded||September 6, 1962
|Surfin' Safari track listing|
According to lyricist Gary Usher, "Heads You Win–Tails I Lose" resulted from an effort to turn contemporary expressions into songs. The song is in AABA form. In the A sections, the typical doo-wop chord patterns are split in half, and then repeated: I-vi-I-vi-IV-V-IV-V. The B section is a more traditional pattern, much like other songs from Surfin' Safari
"Heads You Win–Tails I Lose" was recorded at the last Surfin' Safari session, on September 6, 1962. While Nik Venet is officially credited as producer, some of the participants claim that Brian Wilson did the production work.
The Beach Boys
- Mike Love – lead vocals
- David Marks – rhythm guitar
- Brian Wilson – harmony and backing vocals; bass guitar
- Carl Wilson – harmony and backing vocals; lead guitar
- Dennis Wilson – harmony and backing vocals; drums
- Elliott, Brad: "Surf's Up! The Beach Boys On Record 1961-1981", page 18. Popular Culture Ink, 1991.
- Lambert, Philip: Inside the Music of Brian Wilson, page 48. Continuum Publishing, 2007.
- Lambert, Philip: Inside the Music of Brian Wilson, page 48-49. Continuum Publishing, 2007.
- Doe, Andrew G.: "gigs6162." Bellagio 10452. Retrieved on 2012-02-08.
- Doe, Andrew G.: "Album Archive." Bellagio 10452. Retrieved on 2012-02-08.