Heal the Bay
|Focus||Protecting the Santa Monica Bay, the California coastline and the surrounding watersheds.|
|Method||environmental advocacy, Research and Education|
Heal the Bay is a U.S. environmental advocacy non-profit organization based in Santa Monica, California. The organization's focus is on protecting California's Santa Monica Bay, a region of the Pacific coast encompassed by Malibu's Point Dume on the north and the Palos Verdes Peninsula on the south. In broader terms, it also supports efforts to preserve and protect all Southern California coastal waters and watersheds.
Heal the Bay was founded in 1985 by a group led by environmental activist Dorothy Green. Mark Gold became the president of the organization in 2006 and held the position until 2012. The current president and CEO is Alix Hobbs, who took the post in October 2014. The organization has become a prominent advocate for the environment in California, and is particularly known for its annual report card ratings of the water quality at beaches along the Pacific coast. It was also active in advocating for restrictions on plastic bags in California.
Heal the Bay supports public health and education outreach programs as well as sponsoring beach cleanup programs such as Coastal Cleanup Day and Adopt-a-Beach. It also operates the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium, which was formerly known as the Ocean Discovery Center and was operated by UCLA until 2003.
According to Heal the Bay's website, the organization's Mission Statement is as follows:
Heal the Bay is a nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to making Southern California coastal waters and watersheds, including Santa Monica Bay, safe, healthy and clean. We use research, education, community action and advocacy to pursue our mission.
- Elaine Woo, "Environmentalist began Heal the Bay", Los Angeles Times, October 14, 2008.
- Tony Barboza, "Mark Gold to step down as president of Heal the Bay", Los Angeles Times, January 10, 2012.
- "Heal The Bay Names Alix Hobbs As New President & CEO", Santa Monica Mirror, October 2, 2014.
- Wendy Koch, "California's plastic bag ban spurs mockumentary", USA Today, August 25, 2010.
- Mitch James, "Heal The Bay’s Santa Monica Pier Aquarium Turns 10 Years Old", Santa Monica Mirror, March 1, 2003.
- "Styrofoam Cups: From Trash to Fashion". Heal the Bay. Retrieved 2013-02-16.