Healing the Wounds
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2012)|
|Purpose||Supporting British Armed Forces servicemen and women with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder|
|Executive Director||Kevin Richards (founder)|
Healing the Wounds (HTW) is a British charity launched in December 2009 to help provide support and care for British servicemen and women suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder It was founded by Kevin Richards, a former British Army combat medic, who recognised the lack of aftercare support and treatment for sufferers of PTSD in Wales.
Healing the Wounds was founded by Kevin Richards in 2009. Richards had previously served with the Royal Regiment of Wales as a combat medic and completed tours of duty in numerous countries including Northern Ireland and Operation Desert Storm. His involvement with the Royal Welsh Veterans Association and his own background in army medicine led him to recognise the lack of support for PTSD sufferers in Wales and made him determined to do something to help.
Golden Grove Mansion Appeal
Since Healing the Wounds' foundation, the charity campaigned to raise funds to purchase and maintain a convalescent home based at Golden Grove Mansion in Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. However, by January 2011 the condition of Golden Grove had deteriorated to such an extent that it would not have been financially viable to renovate and maintain the mansion as a retreat for PTSD sufferers. Nevertheless, Healing the Wounds remains devoted to the development of a convalescent home within Wales and the £120,000 raised through the campaign shall be spent on treatment for those suffering from PTSD.
Nation Radio campaign
Between November 14 and December 2, 2011, Healing the Wounds was chosen as a nominated charity for a fundraising campaign by South Wales radio station, Nation Radio.
The trustees are:
- William John - Chairman of the Bridgend Branch of The Royal Welsh Association
- Arfon Williams - Former Combat Medic, Royal Regiment of Wales and current Vice Chairman of the British Legion, Ynysybwl Branch
The patrons are:
- "Golden Grove Mansion abandoned as forces retreat". BBC News (BBC). 22 January 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- "Neuro Linguistic Programming: Mental health veterans therapy worry". BBC News (BBC). 22 October 2013. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Healing the Wounds Contact and trustees". Charity Commission. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Healing the Wounds". Healing the Wounds. Retrieved 18 December 2013.