||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2012)|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California|
|Key people||Ron Gutman (CEO), Sastry Nanduri (CTO), Geoffrey Rutledge (CMIO), Sean Mehra (Head of Product), Michael Nichols (General Counsel)|
|Industry||Interactive Health and Technology|
HealthTap is an Interactive Health company, founded by Stanford graduate Ron Gutman in 2010 to enable people to have access to health knowledge, medical experts, and action recommendations via the internet.
Patients can ask medical questions of HealthTap+’s network of thousands of doctors for free, and get access to health tips, checklists, and news articles on a comprehensive array of health topics and issues. HealthTap+ premium HealthTap Prime service members pay a monthly subscription fee for live consults with physicians via video or audio conferences. The service is available from mobile devices or a PC with an internet connection.
In April 2011, HealthTap+ launched a public Beta product focused on providing health information related to pregnancy and infant care. In September 2011, HealthTap expanded its service to encompass many additional areas of health.
To date, HealthTap+ says it has served more than 1.2 billion answers to users’ questions, and it says it has saved lives, although this has not been substantiated.
HealthTap is available on the worldwide web, on smart phones, and wearable smart watches. HealthTap+ also provides the opportunity for peer review, which consists of doctors rating each other, as well as self-identifying their own specializations on their online profiles.
Commenting on HealthTap, Peter W. Carmel, president of the American Medical Association, said the Internet should “complement, not replace, the communication between a patient and their physician.” With online health advice, the doctor doesn't take a history, doesn't do a physical exam, and doesn't monitor or assess any suggested treatment. "Using this information in isolation could pose a threat to patients,” he said.
- Ron Gutman, "The New Era of Interactive Health", Forbes Magazine, April 18, 2011
- "HealthTap Announces $11.5M in Series A Funding led by Mayfield Fund, Mohr Davidow Ventures and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors", "PR Newswire", December 6, 2011
- "HEALTHTAP LAUNCHES FIRST INTERACTIVE EXPERT HEALTH COMPANION — FREE TO ALL", "HealthTap.com", April 26, 2011
- Regina Sinsky, "HealthTap's Social Network of 5,000 Doctors Is Ready to Give Free Advice", The new york times, September 26, 2011
- Tomio Geron "HealthTap Q&A Site Connects Doctors and Patients" Forbes, December 06, 2011
- Bonnie Rochman "A New Health Site in Beta Testing for Pregnant Women, New Moms"
- <"10,000 Physicians Strong and Growing" bizjournals.com, February 12, 2012
- Advice for the Ill, and Points for the Doctors, By RANDALL STROSS, New York Times, February 4, 2012
- HealthTap main page: https://www.healthtap.com/