Health Physics Society
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (May 2013)|
The Health Physics Society (HPS) is a nonprofit scientific professional organization whose mission is excellence in the science and practice of radiation safety. The specific purposes of the society's activities include encouraging research in radiation science, developing standards, and disseminating radiation safety information. Society members are involved in understanding, evaluating, and controlling potential risks from radiation relative to the benefits.
The Society was formed in 1955, with an organizational meeting in June, 1955 at Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio. As of 2013, the membership consists of approximately 5,500 scientists, physicians, engineers, and other professionals. The headquarters are in McLean, VA. The society is an affiliate of the American Institute of Physics.
|Health Physics, The Radiation Safety Journal|
|Edited by||Michael T. Ryan|
Health Physics Society / Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (United States)
It publishes Health Physics since 1958, a peer reviewed scientific journal; Health Physics News for material of interest to members, and Operational Radiation Safety. It operates a public information website, "Radiation Answers", and has begun a series of special publications (The first, Radiation and Risk: Expert Perspectives was published on March 2012.)
It holds its annual meeting in July, and a mid-year meeting in January or February.
Health Physics Society Awards
The Health Physics Society (HPS) holds an awards ceremony each year at its annual meeting. At this ceremony the HPS honors individuals who have been selected by the Awards Committee members to be recognized for accomplishments and actions that meet the criteria of one of the HPS awards established in the Rules of the Society.
The Awards Committee is composed of the president and the four most recent past presidents of the Society, with the immediate past president serving as chair of the committee.
Following is a description of each of the HPS awards with a list or link to the list of recipients of the award.
- Robley D. Evans Commemorative Medal
- Distinguished Scientific Achievement Award
- Elda E. Anderson Award
- Founders Award
- Fellow Award
- Distinguished Public Service Award
- Geoffrey G. Eichholz Outstanding Science Teacher Award
- National Student Science Award
- Health Physics Honor Roll
- G. William Morgan Lectureship Award
- Robert S. Landauer, Sr., Lectureship Award
- Dade William Moeller Lectureship Award
The First Annual Meeting was held in 1956 at the University of Michigan.
The 57th Annual Meeting of the society was held at Sacramento, California on July 22–26, 2012.
The 58th was held July 7–11, 2013, in Madison, Wisconsin; the 59th is scheduled for Baltimore in 2014 and the 60th for Indianapolis in 2015.
- Midyear Topical Meetings
- Health physics
- American Academy of Health Physics, open only to those certified by the American Board of Health Physics.
- Foreword By Dr. Joxel Garcia, MD, MBA; Howard Dickson, Richard Vetter, Louis Wagner, Kathryn Higley, Bernard Cohen, Robert Peter Gale, Robert Emery (2013). Radiation and Risk: Expert Perspectives (SP001 - 0). Health Physics Society. p. 60. Retrieved Sep 2013.
- "Health Physics Society Conferences and Meetings". Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- Radiation Answers, an information web site for the general public operated by the society
- American Institute of Physics
|This article about an organization or institute connected with physics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a medical organization or association is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|