Health and Social Care Directorates
Scottish Government Health and Social Care Directorates are a set of directorates of the Scottish Government. They are responsible for NHS Scotland, as well as policies on the development and implementation of health and social care.
The Chief Executive of NHS Scotland and Director-General of the Scottish Government's Health and Social Care Directorates is Paul Gray.
There is no direct relationship between Ministers and the Directorates. However, the activities of these Directorates include those under the purview of the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing.
The current Directorates are:
- Health Finance and Information Directorate - Director: John Matheson
- Health Workforce and Performance Directorate - Director John Connaghan
- Health and Healthcare Improvement Directorate - Director: Michael Kellet
- Chief Nursing Officer, Patients, Public and Health Professions Directorate - Chief Nursing Officer: Ros Moore
- Chief Medical Officer - Public Health Directorate - Acting Chief Medical Officer: Dr Aileen Keel CBE
- Health and Social Care Integration Directorate - Acting Director: Geoff Huggins
- Commonwealth Games & Sport - Director: Francesca Osowoska
- Children and Families Directorate - Director: Mike Foulis
As well as responsibility for the regional health boards of NHS Scotland, the Directorates also have responsibility for:
- NHS Health Scotland
- Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland
- Scottish Ambulance Service
- State Hospital for Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- NHS National Services Scotland
There are 6 chief professional officers:
- Chief Dental Officer – Margie Taylor
- Chief Health Professions Officer – Jacqui Lunday Johnstone
- Acting Chief Medical Officer – Dr Aileen Keel CBE
- Chief Nursing Officer – Ros Moore
- Chief Pharmaceutical Officer – Bill Scott
- Chief Scientist (Health) – Professor Andrew Morris
The Scottish Executive Health Department (SEHD) was created in 1999 from the former Scottish Office Health Department (SOHD) (previously part of the Scottish Office Home and Health Department). The separate departments in the Scottish Government were abolished in 2007 and replaced with Directorates. In December 2010, the functions of the Health Directorates were taken on by the Health and Social Care Directorates.
- "Directorates". Scottish Government. 23 June 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
|This article related to government in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This health-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|