Healthcare Businesswomen's Association
To further the advancement and impact of women in healthcare worldwide. The HBA accomplishes this by:
- Providing educational opportunities to develop cutting-edge industry knowledge and leadership skills
- Recognizing outstanding women in the industry
- Providing opportunities for networking, creating greater visibility for individuals in the industry, and fostering mentoring relationships
- Serving as a conduit for research on career advancement issues
In 2011, the 17-member HBA board is led by a seven-member executive committee: Members of the HBA board are representative of the HBA's diverse membership, which represents all aspects of the healthcare industry, from pharmaceutical and medical device companies to patient advocacy groups, healthcare communications and consulting firms across the U.S. and Europe.
Woman of the Year Luncheon (WOTY)
Each year the HBA bestows awards to those in the healthcare industry who have exhibited special talents and contributions through extraordinary achievements on the job:
• Woman of the Year Award is presented to one extraordinary woman who has achieved marked success in business, exemplifies leadership and mentoring skills and supports the advancement of women in the healthcare industry. In 2010 it was awarded to Deirdre Connelly president of North America Pharmaceuticals for GlaxoSmithKline.
• Honorable Mentor Award is presented to one senior-level man who is dedicated to promoting the advancement of women in the healthcare industry through mentoring. In 2010, Mark Swindell from Pfizer received this award.
• Star Volunteer Award recognizes one HBA member who has demonstrated an exceptional contribution of time and talent to the mission of the HBA and has worked to establish substantive enhancements to programs and product offerings.
• Rising Star Award recognizes professionals nominated by HBA corporate partner companies for significantly contributing to their organizations; exemplifying true leadership and acting as a role model for others; assisting those in subordinate or peer positions and being a team player and exhibiting dedication to the healthcare industry.