Healthcare in Macau
Macau has a universally accessible single-payer system funded by taxes collected by the government from corporations and residents.
Macau is served by one major public hospital, the Hospital Conde S. Januário, and one major private hospital, the Hospital Kiang Wu, both located in Macau Peninsula, as well as a university hospital called Macau University of Science and Technology Hospital in Cotai. Currently none of the Macau hospitals have international healthcare accreditation.
In addition to hospitals, Macau also has numerous health centres providing free basic medical care to residents. Consultation in traditional Chinese medicine is also available. Currently none of the Macau hospitals is independently assessed through international healthcare accreditation. There are no western-style medical schools in Macau and thus all aspiring physicians in Macau have to obtain their education and qualification elsewhere (such as at the University of Hong Kong or Chinese University of Hong Kong). Local nurses are trained at the Macau Polytechnic Institute and the Kiang Wu Nursing College. Currently there are no training courses in midwifery in Macau.
The Health Bureau in Macau is mainly responsible for coordinating the activities between the public and private organisations in the area of public health, and assure the health of citizens through specialised and primary health care services, as well as disease prevention and health promotion. The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention was established in 2001, which monitors the operation of hospitals, health centres, and the blood transfusion centre in Macau. It also handles the organisation of care and prevention of diseases affecting the population, sets guidelines for hospitals and private health care providers, and issues licences.
- "Macau Factsheet". The Govt. of Macau SAR. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- Macau Yearbook 2007
- "Macau Polytechnic Institute General Information". Macau Polytechnic Institute. Retrieved 2007-12-03.
- "Homepage of the College of Nursing and Midwifery". College of Nursing and Midwifery, Macau. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- "The introduction of Health Bureau, Macau SAR". The Govt. of Macau SAR. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- "The policy and functions of the department of health, Macau SAR". The Govt. of Macau SAR. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- Government Information Bureau (2007). Macau Yearbook 2007. Government Information Bureau of the Macau SAR. ISBN 978-99937-56-09-5.