"Heart Full of Soul" is a 1965 single by the English rock band The Yardbirds. It was written by Graham Gouldman, who would later have a successful career as a member of 10cc. It charted in the United States at number nine and at number two in the United Kingdom. The song makes an early use of the fuzz box by guitarist Jeff Beck during the guitar solo. Originally, a sitar was going to be used, in keeping with the "Eastern-exotic" atmosphere of the song, but the sound was too thin, and eventually Beck produced a sitar-like effect on the electric guitar. An outtake exists, with the sitar part intact.
In one way or another, all three of The Yardbirds' key guitarists were involved with "Heart Full Of Soul". Although it is Beck that plays on the song, the US single was released with a picture sleeve erroneously showing the Eric Clapton line-up. A March 1968 appearance on the music show Upbeat featured the final line-up with Jimmy Page miming to the record.
"Heart Full of Soul" appears on the 1965 compilation album Having a Rave Up. It was featured heavily in the 2010 film London Boulevard.
Chart performance 
Other recorded versions 
- ^ Bellman, Jonathan (1998). The Exotic in Western Music, p. 297. Northeastern University Press. ISBN 1-55553-319-1.
- ^ "Yardbirds - Heart Full Of Soul". Chart Stats. 1965-06-19. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- ^ "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- ^ Steffen Hung. "The Yardbirds - Heart Full Of Soul". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- ^ musicline.de / PhonoNet GmbH. "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- ^ http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-yardbirds-p5888/charts-awards/billboard-singles
- ^ "Cash Box Top 100 10/02/65". Cashboxmagazine.com. 1965-10-02. Retrieved 2011-07-27.
- ^ "YouTube: 金曲重溫: 譚詠麟 午夜皇后 1988".