Heart of Dixie
|Heart of Dixie|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Martin Davidson|
|Produced by||Steve Tisch|
|Written by||Anne Rivers Siddons
|Music by||Phillip Namanworth
|Edited by||Bonnie Koehler|
|Distributed by||Orion Pictures|
Heart of Dixie is a 1989 drama film adaptation of the 1976 novel Heartbreak Hotel by Anne Rivers Siddons and directed by Martin Davidson. The film stars Ally Sheedy, Virginia Madsen, Phoebe Cates, and Treat Williams.
The expression "Heart of Dixie" is a nickname for the state of Alabama.
The fictional Randolph University is based on Auburn University, Alabama.
- Ally Sheedy as Maggie DeLoach
- Virginia Madsen as Delia June Curry
- Phoebe Cates as Aiken Reed
- Treat Williams as Hoyt Cunningham
- Don Michael Paul as Boots Claibourne
- Kyle Secor as Charles Payton 'Tuck' Tucker
- Francesca Roberts as Keefi
- Peter Berg as Jenks
- Jenny Robertson as Sister
- Lisa Zane as M.A.
- Ashley Gardner as Jean
- Eddy Kiihnl as Mitchell
- Richard Bradford as Judge Claibourne
- Barbara Babcock as Coralee Claibourne
- Hazen Gifford as Dean Howard
- Michael St. Gerard as Elvis
Rita Kempley, staff writer at The Washington Post panned the film, writing, "Ally Sheedy, Virginia Madsen and Phoebe Cates combine their negligible talents in Heart of Dixie -- a melodrama so full of hams, it oinks. Led by Sheedy, the tedious trio plays giddy coeds caught up in the racist and sexist traditions of the South in the late '50s. They all sound like they've been gulping hush puppy batter...Working from McCown's histrionic screenplay, Martin Davidson of Eddie and the Cruisers proves once again that he don't know nothing 'bout directing no movies."
- Golden Raspberry Award: Worst Actress, Ally Sheedy, 1990.
- Heart of Dixie at the Internet Movie Database
- Heart of Dixie at Box Office Mojo
- Heart of Dixie at Rotten Tomatoes
- Heart of Dixie film trailer at YouTube