Heart of Dragon
|Heart of Dragon|
|Mandarin||Lóng Dé Xīn|
|Cantonese||Lung4 Dik1 Sam1|
|Directed by||Sammo Hung
Yuen Biao (action)
Mang Hoi (action)
Yuen Wah (action)
Lau Chau-sang (action)
Yuen Miu (action)
Kam Kong Chow (action)
Lee Chi-kit (action)
Fung Yuen-chi (art)
|Produced by||Chua Lam
|Written by||Barry Wong|
|Music by||Lam Man-yee|
|Editing by||Peter Cheung
|Distributed by||Golden Harvest
Bo Ho Film Company Ltd
|Running time||98 minutes|
Heart of Dragon (Chinese: 龍的心, also known in the United Kingdom as Heart of the Dragon) is a 1985 Hong Kong martial arts action drama film directed by Sammo Hung, and starring Hung, Jackie Chan, Emily Chu and Mang Hoi. Yuen Biao is the action director for this film.
It is also known by the titles as The First Mission and Powerman III.
The film is unusual in that although featuring Sammo Hung and Lam Ching-ying, two actors famed for their kung fu abilities, neither actually perform any martial arts. Golden Harvest had wanted Hung to perform fight scenes in the film, but he refused, rationalising "My character was mentally retarded, mentally disabled, so how can you ask me to fall down and suddenly become well again? And fight? They knew my fighting skills and wanted me to be part of the action but I thought that would have completely destroyed the tone of the film, the principles behind the film."
The action is left to Chan and his fellow CID officers, Mang Hoi, Yuen Wah, Chan Lung and Corey Yuen. Despite the relative lack of action scenes, the film was nominated for the Best Action Choreography award at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 1986. It was beaten by Chan's Police Story.
The bad guys are led by James Tien and include Dick Wei, Chung Fat, Phillip Ko and Kao Sau-leung. The film also features a small role for Wu Ma as a restaurant owner, and like My Lucky Stars, Sammo Hung's real life brother makes a cameo appearance as a Policeman (who walks into Inspector Wong's office without knocking).
Cast and roles 
- Jackie Chan – Ted / Tat Fung (doubled by Yuen Biao)
- Sammo Hung – Danny / Dodo Fung
- Emily Chu – Jenny
- Mang Hoi – Ian
- Lam Ching-ying – SWAT Team Commander
- Peter Chan – SWAT Team Member
- Chin Kar-lok – SWAT Team Member
- Yuen Wah – SWAT Team Member
- Corey Yuen – SWAT Team Member
- Melvin Wong – Inspector Wong
- Dennis Chan – Waiter
- Anthony Chan – Private Teacher
- Chung Fat – Moose / Cho Yee Fat / Fa
- James Tien – Mr. Kim
- Dick Wei – Kim's Man
- Phillip Ko – Kim's Man
- Shan Tai – Kim's Man
- Kao Sau-leung – Kim's Man
- Kong Chow – Kim's Man
- Billy Ching – Kim's Man
- Tai San – Kim's Man
- Wu Ma – Cafe Owner
- Hang Shuen-so – Cafe Owner's wife
- Lam Ying-fat – Edmond Pang Kwok Hwa
- Lee Ka-ho – Heung Chi Ming
- Tze Man-ha – Mrs. Chee / Grandma
- Tai Bo – Kenny
- Lee Hoi-san – Thug at restaurant
- Fung Hak-on – Thug at restaurant
- Chiu Chi-ling – Thug at restaurant
As this was intended as a dramatic film, showing a different side of Hung's acting abilities, it contains comparatively few action scenes. Two additional fight scenes were filmed, but these were cut from both the domestic Hong Kong print and the international print of the film. Due to the demands of certain markets, these scenes were included in some prints of the film, notably the Japanese release. They are included as additional features on the US, UK and Australian DVD releases of the film.
Box Office 
Awards and nominations 
- 1986 Hong Kong Film Awards
- Won: Best Original Film Song - for the song "Sui Hoh Seung Yi" (誰可相依) ("Who Could Be Dependent"). (Lam Man-yee - music, Poon Yuen-leung - lyrics, Julie Su Rui - performer)
- Nominated: Best Action Choreography
- Nominated: Best Director (Sammo Hung)
- Nominated: Best Actor (Jackie Chan)
- Nominated: Best Original Film Score (Lam Man-yee)
Home Media 
|1 January 1998||United States||R||Tai Seng||NTSC||Cantonese||English|||
|24 January 2000||United Kingdom||18||Mia||PAL||Cantonese||English|||
|2 February 2003||United Kingdom||18||Mia||PAL||Cantonese||English||Widescreen Edition |
|2 December 2003||China||N/A||Guang Dong Yin Xiang Chu Ban She||NTSC||Mandarin||Simplified Chinese||2VCDs.|
|Unknown||Hong Kong||N/A||Deltamac (HK)||NTSC||Cantonese||Traditional Chinese and English||2VCDs.|
|9 April 2009||Hong Kong||N/A||Joy Sales (HK)||NTSC||Cantonese||Traditional Chinese and English||2VCDs Digitally Remastered.|
|1 January 2000||Kong Kong||N/A||Universe Laser (HK)||NTSC||All||Cantonese,
|Unknown||English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa (Malaysia), Thai, Bahasa (Indonesia)|||
|30 December 2003||United States||R||20th Century Fox||NTSC||1||Cantonese,
|2 December 2003||China||Unknown||Zhong Ying Yin Xiang Chu Ban She||NTSC||All||Mandarin (Dubbed)||Unknown||Simplified Chinese|||
|17 April 2004||Korea||N/A||Spectrum DVD||NTSC||3||Cantonese||Unknown||Korean|||
|30 August 2004||United Kingdom||18||Hong Kong Legends||PAL||2||Cantonese,
|Dolby Digital 5.1||English||Digitally Remastered.|
|29 November 2006||Hong Kong||N/A||Joy Sales (HK)||NTSC||ALL||Cantonese, Mandarin||Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Digital Surround||English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese||Digitally Re-mastered.|
|27 November 2008||Japan||N/A||Shochiku Home Video||NTSC||2||Cantonese and Japanese||Unknown||Japanese|||
|22 August 2011||United Kingdom||18||Cine-Asia presents Hong Kong Legends||PAL||2||Cantonese,
|Dolby Digital 5.1||English||Digitally Remastered.|
|25 May 2011||Japan||N/A||Shochiku Home Video||NTSC||A||Cantonese, Japanese||DTS HD Mono and DTS Mono||Japanese|||
- Sammo Hung (August 2004). Heart of Dragon, "Different Strokes" interview with Sammo Hung (DVD). Contender Entertainment Group.
- "The Action Mutant Reviews : Heart Of Dragon". Theactionmutant.blogspot.in.
- "Heart of Dragon [VHS] (1985)". amazon.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of Dragon [VHS]". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of Dragon [Widescreen] [VHS]". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart Of Dragon (VCD) (China Version) VCD". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart Of Dragon VCD". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart Of Dragon (VCD) (Digitally Remastered) (Joy Sales Version) (Hong Kong Version) VCD". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart Of Dragon DVD Region All". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of Dragon (REGION 1) (NTSC)". amazon.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart Of Dragon (DVD) (China Version) DVD Region All". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of Dragon DTS (Korean Version) DVD Region 3". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of the Dragon [DVD] Region 2". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart Of Dragon (Digitally Remastered) (Joy Sales Version) (Hong Kong Version) DVD Region 3". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "ファースト・ミッション プレミアム・エディション(2枚組) [DVD]". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of the Dragon [DVD] Region 2 Re-release". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray) (Japan Version) Blu-ray Region A". yesasia.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012.