Heartbeat (2010 film)
|Revised Romanization||Shimjangi Dwoenda|
|Directed by||Yoon Jae-keun|
|Produced by||Kim Sang-oh|
|Written by||Yoon Jae-keun|
|Music by||Bang Joon-seok|
|Editing by||Park Gok-ji|
|Running time||114 minutes|
Heartbeat (Hangul: 심장이 뛴다; RR: Shimjangi Dwoenda; MR: Simjangi Ttwinda) is a 2010 South Korean film about human organ trade. The film revolves around Yeon-hee, a widowed mother striving for a transplant heart for her daughter. The mother hears that Hui-do's mother had a traumatic fall and is now brain dead. Eagerly she attempts to purchase the heart from Hui-do's mother who refuses until he can find out more about the fall his mother had.
The film stars Kim Yunjin and Park Hae-il in the lead roles, and marks directional debut of Yoon Jae-keun, who previously wrote Hello, Schoolgirl (2008). The film had a total of 1,032,942 admissions nationwide.
Yeon-hee (Kim Yunjin) works as a director for an English Language Institute. She lives a wealthy life, but after her husband died, her only treasure is her daughter Ye-eun. Yeon-hee soon falls into despair when she learns her daughter has a heart disease.
After going through so much, Yeon-hee pays an exorbitant amount to a black-market organ dealer for a healthy heart for her daughter. The heart comes from a patient in a persistent vegetative state.
When the time nears for her daughter's heart transplant surgery, Lee Hee-do (Park Hae-il), the son of the woman in the vegetative state, suddenly appears to stop the transplant. In the past, Hee-do was a bad son often leeching money off of his mother. He parted ways with his mother, but when he learns of the current situation he tries to protect his mother. With only one heart, Yeon-hee and Hee-do both are both desperate to do what they believe is the right thing.
- Kim Yunjin ... Chae Yeon-hee (a single mother who risks everything to save her daughter)
- Park Hae-il ... Lee Hee-do (A gangster and loan shark who has an estranged relationship with his mother)
- Jung Da-hye... Na Soo-young (Hee-do's girlfriend)
- Park Ha-young ... Chae Ye-eun
- Kim Sang-ho ... Team Leader Jo
- Kang Shin-il ... Director Choi
- Keum Dong-hyun ... president of village organization
- Ju Jin-mo ... President Kang (Hee-do's stepfather)
- Kim Min-kyung ... Ahn Sook-hee (Hee-do's mother)
- Lee Seung-jun ... Teacher Moon
- Jeon Bae-su ... Section Chief Park
- Heo Hyeon-hwa ... Yoon-ji's mother
- Jo Ki-bbeum ... head nurse at Chungdam Hospital
- Lee Han-wi ... married president
- Kang Hae-in ... Hyun-joo
- Lee Hee-joon ... pharmacist
- Kim Young-hoon ... Yeon-hee's husband
- Kim Young-sun ... cleaning lady
- "Box office by Country: Heartbeat". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Han, Sang-hee (14 December 2010). "Kim Yun-jin, Park Hae-ils battle of hearts". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Mudge, James (14 July 2011). "Heartbeat (2010) Movie Review". Beyond Hollywood. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Ko, Kyoung-seok (23 December 2010). "Kim Yun-jin says took time to decide on another mother role". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Lee, Ji-hye (19 January 2011). "Actress Kim Yun-jin’s Song Picks". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.