Heartbeat (The Fray song)
|Single by The Fray|
|from the album Scars & Stories|
|Released||October 11, 2011 (U.S.)|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Recorded||2011; Nashville, Tennessee|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock, alternative rock|
|Writer(s)||Isaac Slade and Joe King|
|The Fray singles chronology|
"Heartbeat" is the first single from The Fray's third album Scars & Stories. The band premiered the song while opening for U2 on their U2 360° Tour in May 2011. The song was released for airplay on October 8, 2011, and was released for download in the United States on iTunes on October 11, 2011.
Isaac Slade mentioned that song was inspired by his experiences traveling abroad; it is essentially about "a woman escaping a horrible situation in the middle of the night and coming back to life."
"That song came out of a period of my life when I was trying hard to be open to whatever came my way. I traveled through South Africa and Rwanda with a buddy, and at first it was really hard to stay open in the face of so much pain and heartache. But then I ended up meeting so many cool and inspiring people, and all these ideas for lyrics and melodies just started rushing in.”
The chorus of the song reflects a particular moment when a woman was sharing a deeply moving story about the genocides in Rwanda, and held Isaac's hand.
- Oh, I'm feeling your heartbeat
- And oh, you're comin' around, comin' around, comin' around
- If you can love somebody, love them all the same.
- You gotta love somebody, love them all the same.
- I'm singing, oh, I feel your heartbeat.
On The Fray's official website, Slade explained:
The inspiration specifically came from a chance meeting with an expatriate woman. Speaking of the miracle of the capital city overcoming such remarkable odds, the two held hands and Slade reveals I felt so connected to her. I couldn’t tell if it was her pulse or mine.
Joe King first announced that the principal photography for the video was taking place on October 14, 2011 via Twitter, and has since then concluded. The "beach themed" music video was shot on Sycamore Cove State Beach in Ventura County, California and was directed by Justin Francis. The video was made available on iTunes on November 15, 2011 and was released via Vevo on November 17. The song is also played in the trailer for "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen".
As of June 21, 2012, the single has sold 500,000 copies worldwide.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||66|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||63|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||22|
|US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard)||10|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||37|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||22|
|US Christian Songs (Billboard)||40|
- "World Premiere: The Fray "Heartbeat"". mixp41fm.radio.com. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Amazon.com: Heartbeat: The Fray: MP3 Downloads". amazon.com. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "INTERVIEW: The Fray’s Isaac Slade Admits to ‘Sophomore Slump;’ Reveals ‘Scars & Stories’ is Finished". Ralphieversa.com. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "The Fray Releases New Single: "Heartbeat"". Hitpredictor.com. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "The Fray- Heartbeat". TheFray.net. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "@The Fray". Twitter.com. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "The Fray ‘Heartbeat’ by Justin Francis". PromoNews.tv. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Video Static: Music Video News". VideoStatic.com. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Chart Moves: Coldplay Rebounds on Hot 100; Plus Album Debuts from Britney Spears, Erasure October 20, 2011". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "Chart Moves: Coldplay Rebounds on Hot 100; Plus Album Debuts from Britney Spears, Erasure October 20, 2011". Billboard.biz. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "This just in: Half a million people have now paid for our song Heartbeat. That's awesome. -BW #thanks". Twitter.com. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
-  ARIA Report 9/1/12. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- Grein, Paul (October 19, 2011). "Week Ending Oct. 16, 2011. Songs: We've Got Divas!". Yahoo! Music. Yahoo! Inc. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Chart Highlights: Katy Perry Debuts On Pop Songs, Lady Gaga Leads Dance/Club Play Songs". Billboard. 2011-10-17. Retrieved 2011-10-18.