Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
|Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion|
|Studio album by Shai Hulud|
|Released||November 4, 1997|
|Recorded||August–September 1997 at Morrisound Recording, Tampa, Florida|
|Genre||Hardcore punk, metalcore|
|Shai Hulud chronology|
2006 Reissue cover.
|12" Picture disc|
Special picture disc LP
|Singles from Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion|
Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion is the first full length album by American hardcore punk band Shai Hulud, released on November 4, 1997, on Crisis Records. Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion received positive reviews and became very influential in the emerging metalcore scene of the late 1990s.
Shai Hulud started recording the album in August and finished the process in September. The album's title name comes from the lyrics of "Outside the Boundaries of a Friend", My heart, once nourished with hope and compassion, now is black as death.
Many movie samples were used. One of them is played at the end of "Solely Concentrating on the Negative Aspects of Life", in which Bill Murray is heard saying "It's gonna be cold. It's gonna be gray. And it's gonna last you for the rest of your life" from the 1993 film Groundhog Day. Sigourney Weaver in Alien (1979) is heard at the end of the record saying, "This is Lieutenant Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off."
Early versions of "Beyond Man" ("Favor") and "For the World" ("Sauve Qui Peut" (Save Yourself, in literal translation from French) are found in A Comprehensive Retrospective: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Release Bad and Useless Recordings compilation. off the 1995 demo. Damien Moyal, the former vocalist of the band still has a "Sauve Qui Peut" tattoo on his arm.
The techno/industrial version of "If Born From This Soil", entitled "If Born From This Soil: Treatments for the Infected Foetus", was arranged by Jonathan Wright and his project, Minor Procedure.
In the thanks list, the hardcore band Will Haven is thanked twice.
The album was released in CD/LP and 12" clear brown (106 press). It is now sold through Crisis subsidiary, Revelation Records.
The album's blend of melody and aggression, typical in modern hardcore bands, became very influential for many successful mainstream hardcore bands and much of the hardcore-metalcore scene in the 2000s, even though guitarist Matt Fox has stated on interviews that he disliked the final product and its sound quality.
Lyrical themes vary from misanthropy, angst, hatred and failed romantic love giving an overall dark atmosphere. In further releases, the band would focus even more on misanthropy and hatred themes.
The lyrics of "Outside the Boundaries of a Friend" are directly inspired by an unrequited love of guitarist Matt Fox and "Eating Bullets of Acceptance" talk about how, in words of Dave Silber, "some vegans idealise and have a sense of superiority over others".
A fan music video was made for "My Heart Bleeds the Darkest Blood" in 1998, during the US tour with Overcast.
- "Solely Concentrating on the Negative Aspects of Life" – 3:08
- "My Heart Bleeds the Darkest Blood" – 2:05
- "Outside the Boundaries of a Friend" – 3:32
- "Beliefs and Obsessions" – 2:45
- "A Profound Hatred of Man" – 3:05
- "Beyond Man" – 2:54
- "This Wake I Myself Have Stirred" – 2:47
- "Eating Bullets of Acceptance" – 2:35
- "For the World / If Born From This Soil: Treatments For The Infected Foetus" (starts – 5:58 into the track) – 11:56
- Chad Gilbert - vocals
- Matt Fox - guitar
- Oliver Chapoy - guitar
- Dave Silber - bass guitar
- Steve Kleisath - drums
- Damien Moyal - lyrics
- Mitchell Howell - engineer
- Dustin Moore - cover art, photographs
- Alexis Neptune - cover art, concept
- Autumn Horne - cover art, concept
- Recorded and mixed at Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida
- Remastered and remixed by Zeuss
- Taylor, Jason D.. Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion at AllMusic
- Punknews review
- Shai Hulud - Hearts Once Nourished With Hope And Co Review - sputnikmusic
- In At The Deep End Records Zombie Apocalypse
- Shai Hulud Interview
- allmusic - Hearts Once Nourished with Hope & Compassion -> Overview