Heat of the Moment
|"Heat of the Moment"|
Cover of the European single
|Single by Asia|
|from the album Asia|
|B-side||"Time Again" (UK)
"Ride Easy" (outside of UK)
|Format||7" vinyl + Song on Asia album Tape and 33|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock, progressive rock|
|Writer(s)||John Wetton, Geoff Downes|
|Asia singles chronology|
"Heat of the Moment" is the first hit single released by progressive rock band Asia from their smash 1982 eponymous debut. The song was the most popular on the album, and won enormous success in North America, reaching #4 in both the Canadian Singles chart and on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It was aided by an innovative - and hugely popular - MTV music video.
The single also climbed to the top position on the U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock chart, remaining six non-consecutive weeks at #1 in the spring and summer of 1982. It was written by John Wetton and Geoff Downes. "Heat of the Moment" is featured at the beginning of another Asia song called "Don't Call Me" as a dialing number from a telephone.
The lyrics contain the line, "And now you find yourself in '82". While this is often interpreted to refer to the year 1982, Wetton has said that it refers to a location. However, in live versions, Wetton has often substituted the current year for "82" in the second verse and rhymed it with another word.
"Ride Easy" is the B-side of the singles released outside of the UK. This song was written by Wetton and Howe. It was never given a regular release on a studio album, but it was included in the EP Aurora, released only in Japan in 1986. During an interview on the 2007 released Asia DVD Fantasia: Live in Tokyo, Wetton indicated that "Ride Easy" is one of his favourite Asia songs.
It was eventually released on CD on The Very Best of Asia: Heat of the Moment (1982-1990)
- US 7" single
|1.||"Heat of the Moment"||3:50|
- UK 7" single
|1.||"Heat of the Moment"||3:50|
|Australian Kent Music Report||26|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||4|
|Dutch Top 40||34|
|French Singles Chart||39|
|German Media Control Charts||7|
|Irish Singles Chart||30|
|Italian Singles Chart||16|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||46|
|Polish Singles Chart||6|
|Radio Luxemburg Singles||26|
|South African Singles Chart||4|
|Swiss Singles Chart||2|
|UK Singles Chart||46|
|US Billboard Pop Singles||4|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock||1|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||47|
|German Media Control Charts||41|
|Italian Singles Chart||89|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||40|
|U.S. Cashbox Top 100||43|
- It was featured multiple times in the Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot".
- "Heat of the Moment" was repopularized in 2005 when it was featured in the motion pictures The 40-Year-Old Virgin and The Matador.
- In a 2001 episode of South Park titled "Kenny Dies", Eric Cartman sings the song to the United States Congress to convince them to reverse a ban on stem cell research (telling them that he wanted to save his 8-year-old friend Kenny McCormick from muscular dystrophy), eventually leading members of Congress in a sing-along.
- The song is featured in the Season 4 episode "Shuffle, Ball Change" of Cold Case.
- The song is a playable track in the video game Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s.
- The song is in the score of the musical Rock of Ages.
- In Sleepaway Camp one of the characters is wearing this song's cover on his shirt.
- The character of Bobo sings part of the song on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 after a performance by Pearl Forrester and Observer.
- The song's intro is sampled by EDM artist Jimmy Rotten in the 2013 track "The Trouble With Facebook".
- "List of number-one mainstream rock hits". wordpress.com. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8 ed.). Billboard Publications. p. 35.
- "allmusic ((( Asia > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- "LET IT ROCK - John WETTON interview". April 2003. Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "RPM Volume 36 No. 17, June 05 1982 - RPM". Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- "Nederlandse Top 40, week 24, 1982 (in Dutch)". Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- "charts.de - Asia - Heat Of The Moment (in German)". Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "irishcharts.ie search results". Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- "Asia - Heat Of The Moment - hitparade.ch (in German)". Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- "Chart Stats - Asia - Heat Of The Moment". Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- "The Heat of the Moment (Season 5, Episode 13) - Video Clips". South Park Studios. Retrieved 2012-02-20.