|Motto: "City of Progress——Citizens With Pride"|
Location of Heath, Ohio in Licking County
|• Total||11.00 sq mi (28.49 km2)|
|• Land||10.92 sq mi (28.28 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.21 km2)|
|Elevation||860 ft (262 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||10,389|
|• Density||944.1/sq mi (364.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1056322|
Heath was incorporated as a village in 1952, with Direnth Morth being named the first mayor. Over the next decade Heath grew quickly, going from a population of 8,426 in 1960 to 34,066 in 1965, when it became the 196th city in Ohio. In 1986 it became the home of the first and only indoor shopping mall in Licking County, Indian Mound Mall. By this time population growth had slowed, to a total of 7,231 by 1990. Despite the large population growth on the western edge of Licking County, Heath remains the third largest municipality in the county, and one of only three cities. Heath was host to Newark Air Force Base, the seat of United States Air Force metrology. Currently, this function is served by AFMETCAL and the contractor-driven Air Force Primary Standards Lab.
|1952–1959||Richard Bert Hoback|
|1974–1997||John Chet Geller|
|1997–2007||Daniel L. Dupps|
Heath has four schools in their school district; Heath City Schools. Heath City Schools has also had one (1) former middle school.
- Heath High School (9-12)
- Heath Middle School (6-8)
- Stevenson Elementary School (3-5)
- Garfield Elementary School (K-2)
- Fulton Middle School (Closed, later demolished)
Heath also has two private schools. They are not affiliated with the Heath City Schools.
- Licking County Christian Academy (K-12)
- Newark Seventh Day Adventist (K-7)
Heath is located at (40.032047, -82.435652).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 11.00 square miles (28.49 km2), of which, 10.92 square miles (28.28 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.21 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,310 people, 4,131 households, and 2,772 families residing in the city. The population density was 944.1 inhabitants per square mile (364.5 /km2). There were 4,426 housing units at an average density of 405.3 per square mile (156.5 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 93.7% White, 2.6% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.5% of the population.
There were 4,131 households of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.0% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.9% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.96.
The median age in the city was 40.1 years. 24.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.7% were from 25 to 44; 26.2% were from 45 to 64; and 16.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.9% male and 52.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,527 people, 3,403 households, and 2,375 families residing in the city. The population density was 816.6 people per square mile (315.4/km²). There were 3,593 housing units at an average density of 344.1 per square mile (132.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.59% White, 1.98% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.82% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.32% from other races, and 0.95% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.01% of the population.
There were 3,403 households out of which 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.2% were non-families. 25.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 29.7% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,120, and the median income for a family was $50,156. Males had a median income of $35,781 versus $25,143 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,890. About 4.2% of families and 8.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.2% of those under age 18 and 11.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Heath Timeline". Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "562D". Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Ohio". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Ohio: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 November 2013.