|Single by Grinderman|
|from the album Grinderman 2|
|Released||September 6, 2010|
|Format||digital download, 12" vinyl|
|Recorded||August 2008–2010 at RAK Studios, State of the Ark and Assault & Battery 2 in London, United Kingdom|
|Genre||Alternative rock, garage rock|
|Writer(s)||Nick Cave, Grinderman|
|Producer||Nick Launay, Grinderman|
|Grinderman singles chronology|
"Heathen Child" is the fourth single by alternative rock group Grinderman and first from their second studio album, Grinderman 2. Released on September 6, 2010, the song is the first release from Grinderman in three years and is also the band's first limited edition double a-side single.
Background and production
Cave spoke of the song with Uncut magazine, mentioning that "Heathen Child" was "a quest to break from narrative song-writing in to something more impressionistic."
The song was described on Sonic Masala as "squalid, diseased, filthy, and oh so seductive."
Track listing and formats
- Digital download
- "Heathen Child" – 5:01
- Limited edition 12" vinyl
- "Heathen Child" – 5:01
- "Star Charmer"
- "Super Heathen Child"
A series of trailers for the album directed by John Hillcoat have been released on Grinderman's official website and by Mute Records since June 28, 2010. Recorded near Westway in London, the music video for "Heathen Child" features a "naked lady lying in a bath of something milky." Cave explained elements of the music video noting that "the video follows the fortunes of a worringly young white girl as she sits in a bath, confronted by the panoply of fiends that occupy her subconscious." The video premiered on NME's Video Box on August 9, 2010.
Musicians and personnel
- Nick Cave – lead vocals, electric guitar, organ, piano, production
- Warren Ellis – acoustic guitar, viola, violin, electric bouzouki, electric mandolin, backing vocals, production
- Martyn Casey – bass guitar, acoustic guitar, backing vocals, production
- Jim Sclavunos – drums, percussion, backing vocals, production
- Guest musicians
- Robert Fripp – electric guitar on "Super Heathen Child"
- Technical personnel
- Nick Launay – production, engineering
- Kevin Paul - co-production
- Tom Hough - assistant production (at State of the Ark)
- David "Saxon" Greenep - assistant production (at State of the Ark)
- Russell Fawkus - assistant production (at Assault & Battery 2)
- "Grinderman 2 single, Heathen Child, out Aug 30th". Nick Cave Fixes. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Grinderman". Facebook. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- Nick Cave: 30 Greatest Songs (September 2010). Uncut. 2010. p. 42.
- "Heathen Child". SoundCloud. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Most blogged artists: Deerhunter, Grinderman, Marnie Stern". The Independent. 28 July 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- Grinderman (September 2010). Uncut. 2010. p. 52.
- "Grinderman - 'Heathen Child' NME Video Exclusive - NMETV Latest Music Videos and Clips". NME. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
|This 2000s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|