|Born||October 18, 1972
St. Louis, Missouri
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
Early life and education
Maclean was born Heather Beach on October 18, 1972 in St. Louis, Missouri. She graduated from Cor Jesu Academy in St. Louis in 1990. In 1994, she graduated from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature.
Maclean began her career at The Walt Disney Company where she co-created the Disneyland Resort's first Website, www.disneyland.com, produced the company's first international intranet Team Disney, and had the distinction of being the first person ever to answer Mickey Mouse's e-mail. Following Disney, she worked at Internet retailer Buy.com.
Maclean has written and edited 10 published non-fiction books, mostly on cooking and food-related categories including "The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Sixties Cookbook" and HBO's "The Weight of the Nation." Three of Maclean's books -- "Skinny Italian," "Fabulicious!," and "Fabulicious! Fast & Fit"—all cookbooks of healthy, authentic Italian food written with Teresa Giudice—have been on The New York Times Best Seller list rising as high as #5. "Skinny Italian" was published by Hyperion in 2010. "Fabulicious!" and "Fabulicious! Fast & Fit" were published by Running Press/Perseus Books, in 2011 and 2012. Her fourth collaboration with Giudice, "Fabulicious! On the Grill" will be released by Running Press in May 2013.
Maclean’s first book, The Baby Gizmo Buying Guide: From Pacifiers to Potties . . . Why, When, and What to Buy for Pregnancy Through Preschool, a non-fiction resource for new parents, was published by Thomas Nelson in 2008.
Maclean was first published under the name Heather Michelle Beach in 1990 when an award-winning speech she wrote for the Voice of Democracy broadcast scriptwriting contest, sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, was entered into the United States Congressional Record by Congressman Richard A. Gephardt.
Maclean starred with Richard Branson on the television show The Rebel Billionaire, an Apprentice-meets-Amazing Race reality program broadcast on the Fox network in 2005, and shown in 19 countries around the world. Maclean was one of the final contestants and appeared in every episode.
Maclean is an on-air parenting contributor to many news programs, including Good Morning America, the CBS Early Show, ABC News, Fox Business Network and ParentsTV. She has also guest-starred on Sirius XM Radio's Doctor Radio program.
- Heather Maclean author page on Thomas Nelson publisher site
- Heather Maclean official website
- Business Today magazine, Winter 1993, Volume 30, No. 1, page 6
- "Playing by Art," Daily Candy, December 4, 2007
- "My Inner Rebel: What whitewater rafting in a crocodile-infested river has to do with business — and life" by Heather Maclean, Princeton Alumni Weekly, February 23, 2005
- Heather Maclean official website
- New York Times Bestseller List, Paperback Advice & Misc., June 6, 2010
- New York Times Bestseller List, Paperback Advice & Misc., June 26, 2011
- New York Times Bestseller List, Paperback Advice & Misc., June 10, 2012
- Running Press publisher site
- Thomas Nelson publisher site
- Congressional Record, 101st Congress, April 4, 1990
- "The Rebel Billionaire" cast list, Internet Movie Database
- "Ga Ga for Baby Gizmos" Good Morning America, February 13, 2008 (video)
- "Big Ticket Baby Items" Good Morning America, February 13, 2008 (video)
- "Gizmos to Help Parents of Babies and Tots" CBS Early Show, March 1, 2008
- "Outrageous Baby Gifts" CBS Early Show, June 30, 2008 (video)
- "What to Have at Home for a Newborn Baby" ABC News