Heather Matarazzo at a New York City Rally for Equal Marriage in 2008.
November 10, 1982 |
Oyster Bay, New York, U.S.
|Partner(s)||Caroline Murphy (2004-2012, separated)|
Heather Christina Marie Matarazzo (born November 10, 1982) is an American actress. Her breakthrough role was as a geeky girl in the film Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995). She played Lilly in The Princess Diaries (2001) and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004). Her other movies include The Devil's Advocate (1997), Scream 3 (2000), Sorority Boys (2002), Saved! (2004), and Hostel: Part 2 (2007).
Matarazzo was born and raised in Oyster Bay, New York, the daughter of Camille, a homemaker, and Ray Matarazzo, a data processing manager for a bakery chain. Matarazzo is of Irish descent, and was adopted and raised by the Matarazzos, a strict Catholic Italian American family. She attended Oyster Bay High School, as well as the BOCES Cultural Arts Center High School.
Matarazzo began acting at the age of six; after commandeering the microphone at an AIDS benefit for children, she was given the card of a talent manager with whom she remained for ten years.
In 1997, she won an Independent Spirit Award for her performance in Welcome to the Dollhouse. Matarazzo has expressed pleasure in being allowed to play interesting characters, some of whom "are ostracized for various reasons." She has commented that she is most proud of her performance in 1999's Our Guys: Outrage in Glen Ridge, in which she played a mentally challenged girl who is raped by football players. In 1999 to 2000 she portrayed Heather Wiseman in the short-lived TV series, Now and Again. Matarazzo has made appearances on several hit TV shows including Roseanne, Law & Order, The L Word, and Strangers With Candy. Matarazzo starred opposite Thaao Penghlis in the world premiere of Charles Evered's play Class at Cape May Stage in Cape May, New Jersey in May and June 2010.
In 2011, Matarazzo announced that she would begin working on her directorial debut, a television series to be based on a memoir by author Diane Hanks, titled Summer Camp: A Memoir.
Matarazzo is openly lesbian. On July 31, 2008, Matarazzo's publicist announced that Matarazzo was engaged to musician Caroline Murphy. She was the keynote speaker at the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network of Boston's annual conference. In 2012, popular media news outlets announced that Matarazzo and Murphy have split amicably.
|1995||Welcome to the Dollhouse||Dawn Wiener||Independent Spirit Award for Best Debut Performance
Nominated—Satellite Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Nominated—Young Artist Award for Best Younger Actress in a Feature Film
|1997||The Devil's Advocate||Barbara|
|1998||The Hairy Bird||Theresa 'Tweety' Goldberg|
|1999||Our Guys||Leslie||Television movie|
|2000||Scream 3||Martha Meeks|
|2001||The Princess Diaries||Lilly Moscovitz|
|2002||St. Sass||Margo||Television movie|
|2003||The Pink House||Charlotte|
|2004||The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement||Lilly Moscovitz|
|2005||Believe in Me||Cindy Butts|
|2007||Hostel: Part II||Lorna|
|1993||The Adventures of Pete and Pete||Natasha||2 episodes|
|1997||ER||Alyssa Gunther||Episode: "Random Acts"|
|1998||Law & Order||Stephanie Sutter||Episode: "Burden"|
|1999-2000||Now and Again||Heather Wiseman||22 episodes
Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television
Nominated—Young Artist Award for Best Younger Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
|2000||Strangers with Candy||Renee||Episode: "Is My Daddy Crazy?"|
|2006-2009||Exes and Ohs||Crutch||8 episodes|
|2007||The L Word||Stacey Merkin||4 episodes|
|2008||Law & Order||Janice Dunlap||Episode: "Sweetie"|
|2008||Life on Mars||June||Episode: "The Real Adventures of the Unreal Sam Tyler"|
- July 26, 2011 AT 12:15PM (2011-07-26). "Heather Matarazzo Plans to Marry to Longtime Girlfriend!". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Heather Matarazzo Biography (1982-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Malkin, Marc (2007-06-08). "Planet Gossip - Chatting with Heather Matarazzo". Eonline.com. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Stockwell, Anne. "Welcome to the House, Doll!". The Advocate.
- Warn, Sarah (2006-02-27). "Welcome to the New Heather Matarazzo". AfterEllen.com. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Heather Matarazzo". TV.com. 2005-08-28. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Raising the curtain on summer theater: Cape May Stage presents world premiere". PressofAtlanticCity.com. 2010-05-12. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Heather Matarazzo Talks Being an Out Actress, New TV Show, and 'Mangus!'". 2011-12-03.
- "Heather Matarazzo Officially Engaged to Caroline Murphy". AfterEllen.com. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Kathy Belge (2009-02-14). "Heather Matarazzo: Lesbian Actress". About.com.