|Member of Parliament
for South Derbyshire
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Mark Todd|
14 May 1959 |
Norwich, Norfolk, England
Heather Kay Wheeler (born 14 May 1959) is a British Conservative Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament (MP) for South Derbyshire, taking the seat from the Labour Party after 13 years.
Wheeler was brought up in Wandsworth and elected Conservative Councillor on Wandsworth Council at the age of 22. After serving a full council term she married her husband Bob, moving in 1986 to Bretby.
After working in the City of London for 10 years, she qualified as an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute.
Wheeler was elected onto South Derbyshire District Council in 1995 and was leader of the Conservative group on the council until standing aside following her election as an MP. Following her election to parliament, she continued briefly as district councillor for Repton but did not seek re-election when her term ended in 2011. Wheeler has previously unsuccessfully fought the general elections of 2001 and 2005 in Coventry South, although a swing to the Conservatives was recorded on both occasions.
Wheeler's husband Bob is the current leader of South Derbyshire District Council. Their daughter Harriet was a council candidate in the 2011 local elections but was unsuccessful.
In Parliament she sat on the Standards and Priveleges Committee and the Communities and Local Government Committee
Wheeler was one of 79 Conservative MPs who supported a 2011 rebel motion calling for a referendum on the EU She also joined a 2013 rebel amendment expressing regret at not including the referendum in the government's plansShe subsequently backed the government's plans to hold a referendum in 2017 and opposed a proposal to hold in in 2014
Funding and Expenses
In the 25 Nov 13 edition of the Register of Members Financial Interests, Wheeler is shown as having carried out a number of surveys for opinion research companies, with the payment being donated to her constituency association. She is also shown as being sponsored to undertake trips to Ethiopia, Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo for research purposes.
- "Heather Wheeler MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Election 2010: South Derbyshire". thisisderbyshire.co.uk. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Heather Wheeler". Parliament UK. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "House of Commons Public Bill Committee on the Defence Reform Bill 2013-14". Parliament.uk. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Rebel MPs: the full list". New Statesman. 25 October 2011. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "The 114 Tory rebels in EU protest vote". Daily Telegraph. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Craig Whittaker: Referendum on the UK's membership of the EU". Public Whip. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "The Register of Members' Financial Interests". Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Official Website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for South Derbyshire