Heaven (Los Lonely Boys song)
|Single by Los Lonely Boys|
|from the album Los Lonely Boys|
|Released||May 4, 2004|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Chicano rock, blues rock, Tejano|
|Los Lonely Boys singles chronology|
"Heaven" is the title of a popular song from 2004 by the American Tejano/Chicano rock band Los Lonely Boys. The song was written by brothers Henry, Jojo and Ringo Garza, who comprise the foundation of the band, and it appears on their multi-platinum self-titled album.
Released as a single in mid-2004, "Heaven" reached the Top 40 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at 16 in August. Later that year, the song began a sixteen week run at number 1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart in October. It was also a minor hit at country radio, where it peaked at number 46.
AllMusic reviewer Thom Jurek describes the song as "infectious" and draws comparisons to the music of Freddie King, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Los Lobos. He states that "Heaven" is "a single in the old sense of the word: killer hook, easy groove, a slippery but unmistakable bridge with a beautiful vocal to boot -- all coming in under four minutes."
The success of "Heaven" led to two Grammy Award nominations and one win for the band at the 47th Grammy Awards, held in early 2005. The song won in the category Best Pop Performance by a Duo group, while Los Lonely Boys were nominated in the category Best New Artist, losing out to Maroon 5.
In popular culture
- In later 2004, the song was covered by the Christian Latin rock band Salvador for their album: So Natural. The cover received heavy radio play on both secular and Christian radio.
- The song is featured in the 2008 Nintendo DS game Guitar Hero: On Tour with a completely different guitar track.
- Bo Bice performed "Heaven" as part of the fourth season of American Idol in May 2005, which led to a 77% increase in sales for Los Lonely Boys' self-titled album the week following this performance.
- The song is featured in the TNT television show "Saving Grace," at the end of Season 1, Episode 1. http://heardontv.com/tvshow/Saving+Grace/Season+1/Pilot
|US Billboard Hot 100||16|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||1|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||2|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||46|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||11|
- Los Lonely Boys biography MTV.com. Retrieved 8 August 2009.
- "Heaven" song review Thom Jurek, AllMusic.com. Retrieved 8 August 2009.
- "'Idol' Covers Paying Off For Gavin DeGraw, Los Lonely Boys" Corey Moss, MTV.com, 13 May 2005. Retrieved 8 August 2009.
- "Los Lonely Boys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Los Lonely Boys.
- "Los Lonely Boys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Los Lonely Boys.
- "Los Lonely Boys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Los Lonely Boys.
- "Los Lonely Boys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Los Lonely Boys.
- "Los Lonely Boys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Los Lonely Boys.
"This One's for the Girls" by Martina McBride
"Believe" by Josh Groban
|Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one single
October 2 - December 4, 2004
January 15 - March 5, 2005
"Believe" by Josh Groban
"Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson