Heaven Is for Real
- For the film of the same name, see Heaven Is for Real (film)
|Heaven is for Real|
|Author||Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent|
|November 2, 2010|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back is a 2010 New York Times best-selling Christian book written by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent. It was published by Thomas Nelson Publishers. The book documents the report of a near-death experience by Burpo's then-three-year-old son, Colton. The book tells how the boy began saying he had visited heaven.
In the book, Christian pastor Todd Burpo writes that during the months after his emergency surgery in 2003, his son Colton began describing events and people that seemed impossible for him to have seen or met. Examples include his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born. Colton also claimed that he personally met Jesus riding a rainbow-colored horse and sat in Jesus' lap, while the angels sang songs to him, He also says he saw Mary kneeling before the throne of God and at other times standing beside Jesus.
Within three weeks of its November 2010 release, the book debuted at #3 on the New York Times bestseller list. By January 2011, there were 200,000 copies in print, and the book hit #1 on the New York Times list.
The Berean Call criticized the book for its "extra-biblical claims" as well as the lack of any medical evidence that the boy was clinically dead during the surgery. Susan Jacoby reviewed the book in the Washington Post, saying that the success of the book shows that "vast numbers of Americans" lack the reasoning ability of adults.
In May 2011 Sony Pictures has acquired the film rights of the book Heaven Is for Real. It was announced that Joe Roth will be producing the film with T.D. Jakes for the TriStar Pictures. On August 23, 2012 Braveheart writer Randall Wallace signed up to direct the film adaptation. On 19 March 2013 Greg Kinnear was in talks to star the lead in the film, later he joined the cast. On April 15, 2013 Kelly Reilly joined the cast of the film.
- 23 Minutes in Hell
- 90 Minutes in Heaven
- The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven
- Proof of Heaven
- Howard Storm (author)
- Dancing Past the Dark: Distressing Near-Death Experiences (author)
- "Heaven Is For Real reaches one million e-books sold". Thomas Nelson Corporate.
- "The angels sang to Colton". The North Platte Telegraph. January 13, 2011. Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- Winnipeg Free Press: Todd is even able to report to Catholic friends that Colton "saw Mary kneeling before the throne of God and at other times standing beside Jesus."
- "Paperback Nonfiction". New York Times. January 14, 2010.
- "Is "Heaven Is for Real" for Real?: An Exercise In Discernment". The Berean Call. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Jacoby, Susan (March 30, 2011). "Heaven Is For Real and the Immature American Mind". "What is truly disturbing about this book’s huge commercial success is that it attests to the prevalence of unreason among vast numbers of Americans... At age four, the inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality is charming. Among American adults, widespread identification with the mind of a preschooler is scary."
- "‘Heaven Is For Real’ Headed For Movie Adaptation Through Sony Pictures, Joe Roth And T.D. Jakes". deadline.com. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "'Braveheart' Writer Randall Wallace Believes 'Heaven Is For Real'". indiewire.com. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Greg Kinnear in Talks to Star in Sony's 'Heaven Is for Real'". hollywoodreporter.com. 19 March 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- "Kelly Reilly Lands Lead In Sony Drama ‘Heaven Is For Real’". deadline.com. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Official Website
- Jesus Prince of Peace Official Website
- The Christian Post article on near-death experiences (Criticism about near-death experiences.)