|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2009)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Udupi-Chikmagalur|
Hebri (हेब्री in hindi) is a small town in Udupi district of Karnataka, in the route from Udupi to Agumbe. Hebri is at the foot of the Western Ghats of India in Karnataka state. This place is a main junction and a central point where roads leading to Brahmavar, Karkala, Kundapura, Agumbe and Udupi. The place is of full scenic beauty with evergreen forests which gets highest rainfall across the year. Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary is located nearby which covers the entire route till Agumbe and to western Ghats. This sanctuary houses some of the endangered species like the King Kobra.
Communities, Culture & Languages
The town consists mainly of Hindus of many communities such as Bunts, Devadigas, Billavas, Shivalli Brahmins, Goud Saraswat Brahmins, and small sect of Christians and Muslims.
- Kudlu Theertha Falls: a trek amidst the forest to the waterfall on the way to Agumbe via Hebri
- Seeta nadi : Seeta Nadi is a small town which is about 6 km from Hebri(Hebberi) towards Agumbe. This place derives name from the Seeta Nadi River which passes near by. Thick forest along with the beautiful river which makes this place a popular picnic spot along with the scenic beauty.
- Someshwara: small town which lies in the foot of Agumbe, it is the starting point to western Ghats which heads towards Agumbe and to Shivamogga. Temples like Sri. Mahaganapathi Temple and Sri. Venkataramana Temple which claim to be an oldest Worshipping spots. Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary or Someshwara Forest is well known Tiger Reserves in India.
- Agumbe: is a village located in the Shimoga district in the state of Karnataka, India. Located in Thirthahalli taluk and the Malnad region, Agumbe is among the places in India that receive very heavy rainfall earning it the sobriquet, "Cherrapunji of the South". Agumbe Rainforest Research Station, the only permanent rainforest research station in India is established here. The renowned herpetologist, Romulus Whitaker called Agumbe the capital of King Cobra. An area near Agumbe has been converted into a protected area for Medicinal Plants to help conservation.
- Kabbinale : Most beautiful place with its scenic Beauty which lies right in the Foot of Wester Ghats, This village has been inhabited by people for thousands of years past. Traces of stone age culture dating back to at least 6000 years are visible around the village. The houses are scattered and found up to 2000 feet above sea level and some of the settlements are virtually inside forest and national park. Kabbinale is the Home for King Kobra.
The economy of Hebri is Mainly dependent on agriculture apart from it Rice(Paddy), arecanut, coconut, cashewnut. Nowadays rubber is also grown on foot hills of western ghats. There are many factories which process cashewnut, coconut and rice particularly parboiled rice in and around Hebri. Hebri has many schools, colleges, Public Health Centre (PHC), petrol pump.
- http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Mangalore/proposal- to-upgrade-udupi-city-municipal-council/article6589763.ece