||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
Hecate in 2006.
|Birth name||Rachael Kozak|
Rachael Kozak, better known by her stage name Hecate, is an American-Austrian experimental industrial and breakcore musician based in Berlin, Germany. Her stage name originates from Hecate, the Greek goddess of sorcery[disambiguation needed]. Kozak uses sexuality as a major topic in her music (such as in the tracks "Hecate Jacks Off The Jackal" and "The Magick Of Female Ejaculation"), and has a heavy focus on death and the occult. With over thirty releases, she has become a notable female producer in the harsher genres of electronic music. Kozak is perhaps best known for her collaborations with prolific electronic artist Venetian Snares (Aaron Funk), creating the album Nymphomatriarch entirely from recordings of she and Funk having sex, during a two-week tour in 2003. She is also involved with video production, graphic arts and writing. Since 1996, Kozak has managed her own record label Zhark International, has traveled the world extensively to perform, and became involved in the extreme metal scene, particularly industrial black metal. She eventually formed Treachery, a black metal group.
In 2011, Hecate released a 12" of her remixes on Ad Noiseam, and a CD and 12" release which features her vocal work on Bong-Ra's side-project, White Darkness. Kozak was cast by Daniel Vrangsinn, the producer of many TNBM[disambiguation needed] bands, to star in his solo full length video project, Taboo.
Influences and collaborations
Kozak has indicated appreciation for the 1980s metal once featured on Headbanger's Ball, black metal, Bong-Ra, Xanopticon, Franco Battiato, Pain Teens, King Crimson and Urfaust, amongst many others. She has collaborated with Venetian Snares, Lustmord, Abelcain, Christoph Fringeli, and Michael Ford of Black Funeral. She also worked with the Austrian blackened death metal band Belphegor on four LPs, Pestapokalypse VI, Bondage Goat Zombie, Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn, and Blood Magick Necromance contributing lyrics as well as spoken and screamed vocals, and being featured as both their cover girl - and video and stage Sukkubus in the last year.
Collaboration with Belphegor
After meeting Belphegor in 2005, Kozak was invited to contribute to their LP Pest Apokalypse, which led to more collaborations. Her relation to the band put her into the position of being known as their "Sukkubus"[by whom?], helping with concepts, lyrics and performances. In 2010, Kozak became the band's official press secretary for their last LP.
- At The Seven Gates (Zhark International)
- In The Bush (Zhark International)
- The Payback (Zhark International)
- Hecate Jacks Off The Jackal (Zhark International)
- Negative World Status (Zhark International)
- Summer Of Smoke (Reverse Records)
- The Magick Of Female Ejaculation (Zhark International/Praxis)
- Zod 02 (Zod)
- Hate Cats EP (Praxis)
- Law Of The Battle Of Conquest (collaboration with Lustmord) (Hymen)
- Capricorn Connectrix (Yb70)
- Ascension Chamber (Zhark International/Praxis)
- Seven Veils Of Silence (Hymen)
- Technical Witch / Tech Bitch (Sub/Version)
- Seven Veils Of Silence (Zhark International)
- Wholesale Massacre Of All Identifiable Replicas (Zhark International)
- "All That Glitters (Rachel Kozak remix)" for Le Tigre
- Brew Hideous (Sublight Records/Zhark International)
- Nymphomatriarch (collaboration with Venetian Snares) (IDM)(2003)