|Hector William Catling|
|Born||26 June 1924|
|Died||15 February 2013(aged 88)|
|Church of St Mary & All Saints, Broomfield, Somerset|
|Education||Bristol Grammar School|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Oxford|
|Years active||1951 - 1989|
|Title||Director of the British School at Athens|
|Term||1971 - 1989|
|Predecessor||P M Fraser|
|Successor||E B French|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth Salter (1948 - 2000; her death)|
|Awards||Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (FSA)
Catling was born on 26 June 1924. He was educated at Bristol Grammar School, then a grammar school in the Clifton area of Bristol. He went on to study Literae Humaniores at St John's College, University of Oxford. He remained there to take a doctorate on the Cypriot Bronze Age. This was later published under the tile Cypriot Bronze work in the Mycenaean World.
In 1951, Catling surveyed Hala Sultan Tekke. Between 1955 and 1959, he was Archaeological Survey Officer of the Department of Antiquities of Cyprus. From 1960 to 1971, he was successively assistant keeper and senior assistant keeper at the Department of Antiquities of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. In 1971, he was appointed director of the British School at Athens. He served in that post until 1989.
Following his retirement in 1989, Catling founded the Friends of the British School at Athens. He served as its honorary secretary until 2011.
In the 1980 Queen's Birthday Honours, he was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) 'for services to British cultural interests in Greece'. In the 1989 Queen's Birthday Honours, he was promoted to Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) again 'for services to British cultural interests in Greece'.
He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. He was an Honorary Member of the Archaeological Society of Athens and a Corresponding Member of the German Archaeological Institute.
- "Hector Catling". The Telegraph. 6 March 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Hector William Catling (1924-2013)". News: Obituary. archaiologia.gr. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Kiely, Thomas. "Hala Sultan Tekke in the United Kingdom". Ancient Cyprus in the British Museum. The British Museum. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Fellows". Linacre College, University of Oxford. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Hector CATLING". The Times. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 13 June 1980. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 1989. Retrieved 6 March 2013.