Hedgewars is an open source turn-based strategy artillery game. Similar to Worms and WarMUX, players control a team of hedgehogs across a deformable landscape, battling other computer- or player-controlled teams. Hedgewars is available on different platforms including Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. It can also be ported into Android and iOS.
The player controls a group of hedgehogs. On his turn, a player can select one of his hedgehogs. The player can then use weapons and tools to kill opposing hedgehogs. Killing all enemies leads to victory. The game occurs in a destructible landscape, which is altered by the use of many weapons over the course of the match. Although the hedgehogs can move, their motion is restricted by the shape of the landscape. However, hedgehogs can use tools such as ropes and parachutes to move into otherwise inaccessible areas. Turns are usually limited in duration by a time limit or the use of a weapon. A hedgehog dies when it jumps into water or when its health is reduced to zero.
- Players can use a wide variety of weapons and tools including grenades, cluster bombs, bazookas, UFOs, shotguns, baseball bats, dynamite, land mines, etc.
- The game has both local and network multiplayer, with optional AI opponents.
- A game tweaking tool is available, which allows players to modify different aspects of the game.
- Customization of teams and individual hedgehogs.
- Community-packaged maps, costumes, plugins can be created, used and shared.
- A wide variety of environments and maps, some of which are randomly generated.
- "BuildingOnMac - hedgewars - Instructions for building Hedgewars on Mac OS X - A turn-based ballistics strategy game - Google Project Hosting".
- "BuildingForIos - hedgewars - Instructions for building Hedgewars for iOS on Mac OS X - A turn-based ballistics strategy game - Google Project Hosting".
- "BuildingForAndroid - hedgewars - Instructions for building Hedgewars for Android - A turn-based ballistics strategy game - Google Project Hosting".
- "About | Hegdewars".
- "Download | Hedgewars".