|Village of Heflin|
Heflin Town Hall
|Elevation||272 ft (82.9 m)|
|Area||2.0 sq mi (5.2 km2)|
|- land||2.0 sq mi (5 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||123.4 / sq mi (47.6 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Heflin is located at .(32.458021, -93.267589)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2). 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2) of it is land and 0.50% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 245 people, 95 households, and 70 families residing in the village. The population density was 123.4 inhabitants per square mile (47.5/km²). There were 104 housing units at an average density of 52.4 per square mile (20.2/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 89.39% White, 8.98% African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.41% Asian, and 0.82% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.82% of the population.
There were 95 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.2% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.3% were non-families. 24.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 105.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $33,333, and the median income for a family was $47,083. Males had a median income of $29,167 versus $19,500 for females. The per capita income for the village was $13,547. About 5.7% of families and 8.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.9% of those under the age of eighteen and 5.2% of those sixty five or over.
- Baylus Benjamin McKinney (1886-1942), a Heflin native, composed 149 Christian hymns including "The Nail-Scarred Hand", "Satisfied with Jesus", and "Whereever He Leads I'll Go". He was originally affiliated with the Bistineau Baptist Church near Heflin.
- Cody Eugene DeMoss (born c. 1981) of Heflin is a saddle bronc rider successful in 2004, 2010, and 2012 in the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in 2004, 2010, and 2012. He earned $9,619 in 2012 with a total score of 255 points on three bucking horses. DeMoss said that he was surprised that he won the Sunday finals held on July 29 because another rider, Wade Sundell of Boxholm, Iowa, had entered the competition with a seven-point lead but failed to complete his ride in eight seconds.
- Delmar Ray Thompson, known as Del Thompson (1933-2013), a native of Ashley County in southern Arkansas and reared in Bastrop, Louisiana, was a member of the Heflin Town Council. He served in the United States Navy, played semi-professional baseball, and worked in industry for twenty-five years before devoting his time to raising Angus cattle and pedigree hunting dogs on his Heflin farm. Survivors include his widow, Harol Lynn Turner Thompson, an alumnus and a former faculty member at Minden High School, and their three children.
- "Results for Election Date, April 6, 2013". staticresults.sos.la.gov. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- No one qualifies for Heflin mayor position, Minden Press-Herald, August 19, 2013, p. 1
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Heflin's DeMoss wins at annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo". Minden Press-Herald. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Delmar Ray Thompson". Shreveport Times. Retrieved July 26, 2013.