|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
Heidevolk at Burgfolk Festival 2013
|Origin||Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands|
|Genres||Folk metal, Viking metal, Pagan metal|
|Years active||Since 2002|
Joost den Vellenknotscher
|Past members||Joris Boghtdrincker
Heidevolk is a pagan folk metal band from the Netherlands. The lyrical themes of their music are inspired by nature, the history of Gelderland, and the history of Germanic mythology. All of their lyrics are in Dutch.
Heidevolk was founded under the name Hymir in 2002 by six men. The name was changed to Heidevolk (Dutch for "heath-folk" or "heather folk") inspired by the Veluwe landscape. In contrast to popular belief, in the Dutch Language their name cannot be translated to 'Pagan Folk'. Pagan is translated to Dutch as "heiden". The band started performing live in 2003. Since then the band has released one demo, four full-length studio albums, and one EP.
Their third album, Uit oude grond, (Dutch for "From old ground"), was released to generally positive critical acclaim, with one writer calling the album "A hugely enjoyable release combining aggressive metallic riffage with tastefully-entwined traditional folk instrumentation and melody".
Vocalists Mark Bockting and Joris Boghtdrincker have contributed vocals to the Arkona song titled "Na Moyey Zemle" (На моей земле) (In my Land). This track also features vocalists from Månegarm of Sweden, Obtest of Lithuania, Menhir of Germany, and Skyforger of Latvia. Each sings in their native language, playing the role of warriors from that region describing their homeland to a traveler.
- De strijdlust is geboren (full-length, 2005)
- Wodan Heerst (EP, 2007)
- Walhalla Wacht (full-length, 2008)
- Uit oude grond (full-length, 2010)
- Batavi (full-length, 2012)
- Mark Bockting (Mark Splintervuyscht) – vocals (2005–present)
- Reamon Bloem (Reamon Bomenbreker) – guitar (2005–present)
- Rowan Middelwijk (Rowan Roodbaert) – bass guitar (2006–present)
- Joost Westdijk (Joost den Vellenknotscher) – drums (2002–present)
- Kevin Vruchtbaert - guitar (2011–present)
- Joris Boghtdrincker – vocals (2002–2013)
- Jesse Vuerbaert (Ohtar) – vocals (2002–2005)
- Niels Beenkerver – Guitar (2002–2005)
- Paul Braadvraat – bass guitar (2002–2006)
- Sebas van Eldik (Sebas Bloeddorst) – guitar (2002–2011)
- Stefanie Speervrouw – violin (2007–2008)
- Uit Oude Grond review on OneMetal.com
- Eck, Markus (2009). "Arkona - Goi Rode Goi". Sonic Seducer (in German) (11).
- Heidevolk "Batavi" Release Date: 02 Mar 2012 / 06 Mar 2012 (US) napalmrecords.com. Retrieved on 11 January 2012.
- Heidevolk band member info @ Official site
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heidevolk.|