|Heidi Alexander MP|
|Member of Parliament
for Lewisham East
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Bridget Prentice|
17 April 1975 |
Swindon, Wiltshire, England
|Spouse(s)||Martin R Ballantyne|
|Alma mater||University of Durham|
The daughter of an electrician, Heidi Alexander was born in Swindon, Wiltshire, and attended the town's Churchfields Comprehensive School. She went on to study at Durham University where she received a BA in Geography and a Masters in European Urban and Regional Change.
Heidi Alexander was elected to Lewisham London Borough Council as a councillor for the Evelyn ward in 2004, and served as Deputy Mayor of Lewisham and Cabinet Member for regeneration from 2006. She was selected as the Labour Parliamentary Candidate for Lewisham East in October 2009 and was elected to Parliament in 2010.
She was a member of the Communities and Local Government Select Committee and supported Andy Burnham for the Labour leadership in 2010. Early in her parliamentary career she served as the Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Mary Creagh MP and from 2012 serves as an Opposition Whip as well as (from December 2013) a Shadow Minister for London. She is the Chair of the APPG on Choice at the End of Life.
- "Heidi Alexander". THE HONEYBALL BUZZ.
- "Heidi Alexander". politics.co.uk.
- "Andy Burnham". labour.org.uk.
- "APPG on Choice at the End of Life. — Who we are". appg-endoflifechoice.org.uk.
- Heidi Alexander official site
- Heidi Alexander Profile at labour.org.uk
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Heidi Alexander Profile at New Statesman
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Lewisham East