Heidi Baker in one of the Iris Global children's centers
|Born||August 29, 1959|
With her husband Rolland, Heidi founded IRIS Ministries in 1980, a non-profit Christian ministry dedicated to Jesus and service, especially among the poor. After twelve years ministering in Asia, they left in 1992 to do their PhD's at King's College London, UK. In 1995 they started a new ministry to the poor and homeless children in Mozambique. Beginning with nothing, within a matter of months they were given a dilapidated orphanage in Maputo with 80 children. From there, the ministry has expanded to include well-drilling, free health clinics that service the poor and sick, feeding programs, primary and secondary schools, cottage industries and now over 5000 churches in Mozambique and a total of over 10,000 churches in over 20 nations. There are multiple 'bases' with Bible schools, as well as community outreaches and top-ranked public schools. In September 2008 Iris Ministries started a well digging project in Northern Mozambique. Their ministry is known for its reports of miracles, and in September 2010 the Southern Medical Journal published an article presenting evidence of "significant improvements" in auditory and visual function among subjects exhibiting impairment before receiving prayer from the ministry.
Originally from Southern California, the Bakers are now based full-time in Pemba, Mozambique. They also travel to various places around the world to share their story, and to teach about God's love and what love in action looks like. The core value and message of the Bakers ministry is God's love. Rolland Baker is the grandson of missionary H.A. Baker.
Heidi Baker grew up in Southern California, becoming a Christian through a Navajo preacher's sharing while on an Indian reservation. She met Rolland in 1979 and married six months later in 1980, leaving for the mission field two weeks later. They were ordained as ministers in 1985, after graduating from Vanguard University.
- Bachelor of Arts, Vanguard University (1984)
- Master of Arts, Vanguard University (1985)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Systematic Theology), King's College London (1995)
- There Is Always Enough, with Rolland Baker. Chosen Books (2003) ISBN 1-85240-287-3
- The Hungry Always Get Fed, with Rolland Baker. New Wine Press (2007) ISBN 978-1-903725-85-6
- Expecting Miracles: True Stories of God's Supernatural Power and How You Can Experience It, with Rolland Baker. Chosen Books (2007) ISBN 978-0-8007-9434-7
- Compelled by Love, with Shara Pradhan. Charisma House (2008) ISBN 978-1-59979-351-1
- Learning to Love: Passion, Compassion and the Essence of the Gospel with Rolland Baker. Chosen Books (2013) ISBN 978-0-8007-9552-8
- Riches of The Poor, Peripheral Vision Video
- Mama Heidi, Eric Velu Productions
- The Face of Revival: Stopping for the One, Cornerstone Films
- The Finger of God, Wanderlust Productions
- "Holy Spirit Conference 2009: Guests". Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- Christy Biswell. "Heidi Baker: Intimacy for Miracles". Christian Broadcasting Network. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "Ground Breaking News!". Iris Global. 12 September 2009. Retrieved 16 May 2009.
- Brown, Candy Gunther; Mory, Stephen C.; Williams, Rebecca; McClymond, Michael J. (2010). "Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Proximal Intercessory Prayer (STEPP) on Auditory and Visual Impairments in Rural Mozambique". Southern Medical Journal 103 (9): 864–869. doi:10.1097/SMJ.0b013e3181e73fea. ISSN 0038-4348.
- "Official Speaking Schedule". Iris Global Website. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- Compelled by Love: How to change the world through the simple power of love in action by Heidi Baker and Shara Pradhan
- Miracles in Mozambique by Hope Flinchbaugh, Ministry Today, Mar/Apr 2002