Heidi Suzanne Julavits (born 1968) is an American author and co-editor of The Believer magazine. She has been published in The Best Creative Nonfiction Vol. 2, Esquire, Story, Zoetrope All-Story, and McSweeney’s Quarterly. Her novels include The Mineral Palace (2000), The Effect of Living Backwards (2003), The Uses of Enchantment (2006), and The Vanishers (2012).
Background and education
The Believer and others
She wrote the article "Rejoice! Believe! Be Strong and Read Hard!" (subtitled: "A Call For A New Era Of Experimentation, and a Book Culture That Will Support It") in the debut issue of The Believer, a publication which attempts to avoid snarkiness and "give people and books the benefit of the doubt."
In 2005, she told the New York Times culture writer A.O. Scott how'd she decided on The Believer's tone: "I really saw 'the end of the book' as originating in the way books are talked about now in our culture and especially in the most esteemed venues for book criticism. It seemed as though their irrelevance was a foregone conclusion, and we were just practicing this quaint exercise of pretending something mattered when of course everyone knew it didn't." She added her own aim as book critic would be "to endow something with importance, by treating it as an emotional experience."
Julavits is the author of four novels: The Mineral Palace (2000), about which Library Journal wrote, "the writing is superb"; The Effect of Living Backwards (2003); The Uses of Enchantment (2006), which The New Yorker called "a sophisticated meditation on truth and bias"  and Publishers Weekly described as "beautifully executed"; and The Vanishers (2012).
- The Mineral Palace. 2000.
- The Effect of Living Backwards. 2003.
- The Uses of Enchantment. 2006.
- The Vanishers. 2012.
|Title||Year||First published in||Reprinted in|
|The Santosbrazzi killer||2009||Harper's Magazine 318/1904 (Jan 2009)|
- "Aimee Bender's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake". Columbia Alumni Arts League/Columbia University. c. 2010. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "About The Believer". The Believer. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- A.O. Scott, "Among the Believers," The New York Times Magazine, September 11, 2005.
- Library Journal, "The Mineral Palace," August, 2000
- The New Yorker, "The Uses of Enchantment," November 6, 2006.
- Publisher's Weekly, "The Uses of Enchantment," October 17, 2006
- Birnbaum, Robert (January 10, 2007). "Birnbaum v. Heidi Julavits". The Morning News. Retrieved June 24, 2010.