|Born||11 December 1910
|Died||17 October 1942
|Years of service||1935-1942|
|Commands held||III. KG 30
II. KG 77
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Heinrich Paepcke (11 December 1910 – 17 October 1942) was a highly decorated Major in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Heinrich Paepcke was killed on 17 October 1942 over the island of Malta, he was posthumously awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 19 December 1942 and was promoted to Major.
Awards and decorations
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (21 September 1942)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 271.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 56.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.