|Born||14 March 1914
|Died||4 April 1985
|Years of service||1936–1945|
|Unit||2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Heinrich Schmelzer (14 March 1914 – 4 April 1985) was a Hauptsturmführer (Captain) in the Waffen SS who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. He joined the SS-Pioniersturmbann in June, 1935 and in September 1939 was a section commander in the 3rd Company. Later as an SS-Oberscharführer (Technical Sergeant) he was the half platoon leader in the same 3rd Company, during April 1941. He moved to the Motorcycle Battalion as engineer reconnaissance platoon leader between May and August 1941. In December 1943 he was given command of the mixed Pionier Company of the Kampfgruppe Das Reich which he led until the forming of the 4th Heavy Company which he commanded until it was dissolved in August 1944. At that time he became the 2nd Company Commander until Christmas 1944, then moved to the 3rd Company which he commanded until the end of the war. Schmelzer won the Oakleaves for his actions as sector commander of the Das Reich battlegroup near Cielle and Laroche, France on 7 January.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Silver
- General Assault Badge
- Close Combat Clasp in Gold
- German Cross in Gold (27 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Berger, Florian. Ritterkreuzträger mit Nahkampfspange in Gold. Selbstverlag Florian Berger, 2004. ISBN 3-9501307-3-X. (German)
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.