|Born||26 June 1914
|Died||20 February 1984
|Years of service||?–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Heinz Kemethmüller (26 June 1914 – 20 February 1984) was a German Luftwaffe ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Kemethmüller was born on 26 June 1914 in Nurnberg.
He initially served as a Feldwebel with on the Eastern Front with 8./Jagdgeschwader 3 (JG 3—3rd Fighter Wing), and received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 2 October 1942. He then transferred to Jagdgeschwader 26 (JG 26—26th Fighter Wing), serving with and 7., 9. & 4./JG 26.
He was shot down and badly wounded on 4 November 1944.
During his career Heinz Kemethmüller flew 463 missions, and was credited with 89 aerial victories, 71 on the Eastern Front (including 20 2-engined bombers and 26 Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik Soviet ground attack aircraft) He also claimed 18 over the Western Front, including three USAAF heavy bombers and 7 P-47 fighters shot down.
He died 20 February 1984 in Bonn.
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (31 August 1942)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Gold (3 October 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 2 October 1942 as Feldwebel and pilot in the 8./Jagdgeschwader 3 "Udet"[Note 1]
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 253.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 436.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1941 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 978-3-87341-065-7.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.