|Born||2 December 1917
|Died||8 August 1978
|Years of service||1939–1945|
|Unit||2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Heinz Werner (2 December 1917 — 8 August 1978) was a Sturmbannführer (Major) in the Waffen-SS who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. The Knight's Cross was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany during World War II. The Oak Leaves was a second award.
Werner was awarded his Knight's Cross while in command of the 3rd Battalion, 4th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment The Führer, 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich.
Werner survived the war as a prisoner of the French Government, released in June 1951. He died on the 8 August 1978 in Essen.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- German Cross in Gold (29 May 1943)
- Close Combat Clasp in Gold (April 1945)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- According to Scherzer as leader of the III./SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 4 "Der Führer".
- No evidence of the Oak Leaves being awarded can be found in the German National Archives. The award was unlawfully presented by SS-Oberstgruppenführer Sepp Dietrich. The date is taken from the announcement made by the 6. SS-Panzerarmee. The sequential number "864" was assigned by the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR). Werner was a member of the AKCR.
- Thomas 1998, p. 437.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 443.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 780.
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 103, 482.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 184.
- Berger, Florian (2004). Ritterkreuzträger mit Nahkampfspange in Gold [Knight's Cross Bearers with the Close Combat Clasp in Gold] (in German). Vienna, Austria: Selbstverlag Florian Berger. ISBN 978-3-9501307-3-7.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.
|This biographical article related to the military of Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|