Grey Sun, 1997
|Born||Hélène Julia Cohen
6 April 1936
|Education||Kees Bol, Jan Gregoor, Thierry Veltman|
|Known for||Painting, Drawing, Design|
|Movement||Abstract expressionism, Lyrical abstraction, Postmodern art|
|Awards||Van Dissel textile design awards|
Helen Berman (born 6 April 1936) is a Dutch-Israeli visual artist. She was a textile designer in the 1960s and has been a painter and occasionally an art educator since the 1970s. She is well known in Israel and has exhibited also in Germany and the Netherlands. She created modern and postmodern art and has engaged in realistic impressionism and lyrical abstract expressionism.
Helen Berman was born in Amsterdam and as a young girl survived the Holocaust. She was trained as a textile designer at the Design Academy Eindhoven. While at the academy, she took extracurricular coursework in the free arts with Kees Bol and Jan Gregoor. After her graduation in 1960, Helen Berman designed textiles for several companies. Some of her designs were awarded prizes and publications in professional magazines.
During the seventies, Berman studied painting and drawing with Thierry Veltman, graduating with a teaching degree. In 1978, she immigrated to Israel, where she continued to refine her style. During a decade-long residence in Jaffa, she became part of the local artists' community and a member of the Israel Painters and Sculptors Association. Since 1998, she has been painting and exhibiting from her studio in Tel Mond.
- 1983 - Itzik's Gallery, Beer Sheva, Israel
- 1990 - Gallery Amalia Arbel, Rishon Lezion, Israel
- 1996 - Zaritsky Artists' House, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1997 - Schwing Residence, Old Jaffa Artists Quarter, Israel
- 2000 - Elah Center, Pninat Ayalon, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2003 - Zaritsky Artists' House, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2004 - Gallery Re-Lai-S, Baden-Baden, Germany
- 2006 - Residenz Bären, Baden-Baden, Germany
- 2008 - Elah Center, Pninat Ayalon, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2009 - Sharon Landscapes, Zaritsky Artists' House, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2012 - Sharon Landscapes, Tova Osman Art Gallery, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1972 - De Schoof, Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands
- 1979 - Youth Art Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
- 1983 - Technology, City Hall, Beer Sheva, Israel
- 1989 - Animals, Gallery 13½, Jaffa, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1990 - New Faces, Zaritsky Artists' House, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 1998 - Festive Fruits, Cultural Center, Tel Mond, Israel
- 2003 - Genesis, Culture Hall, Or Akiva, Israel
- 2004 - Dutch Days, Castra Art Center, Haifa, Israel
- 2007 - Open Park, Zaritsky Artists' House, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Ben-Dor D: "Exhibition of Artists from Dutch Origins" (in Castra Exhibitions), ilMuseums 2004. Accessed 2008-06-28. (Hebrew)
- Geldman, Mordechai (2009). Helen Berman: Sharon Landscapes. Israel.
- Berman, Thijs (1993). Op zoek naar George Fles (in Dutch). Amsterdam: Van Gennep. p. 27. ISBN 90-6012-992-X. "Hélène, een aangetrouwde tante die zelf de oorlog tenauwernood overleefde..."
- Berman, Helen (2002). "An Enchanted Dream Came True". Báiki (24): 22.
- "Yahudi kurtaranlara ödül". Şalom (in Turkish). 18 June 2006. Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- Israeli Art Center: "Helen Berman." Israel Museum, Jerusalem. Accessed 2008-06-28. (English)
- Sneh N: "View to the Past and Future in the Exhibition of a Painter Who Immigrated from the Netherlands." Kol Hanegev 1983-05-27. (Hebrew)
- "Landscape of Beer Sheva in a Solo Exhibition by Helen Berman." Sheva 603 (20 May 1983). (Hebrew)
- "The Paintings of Helen Berman." Kol Bi 202 (20 May 1983): 64. (Hebrew)
- "The Netherlands and Israel in an Exhibition." Maariv Hanegev 1983-05-20. (Hebrew)
- Argov H: "Navon and Berman in the Gallery." Arim 205 (16 November 1990). (Hebrew)
- Frumer S: "An Optimistic Wink." Bamakom 1990-11-16. (Hebrew)
- Peiper C: "Exhibition by Helen Berman." Elah Infocus 2000. (Dutch)
- De Vries A: "Helen Berman Exhibits Lyrical-Abstract Expressionism." Aleh 60 (1) (April 2003): 50. (Dutch)
- Goldfine G: "In the Frame." Jerusalem Post 2003-02-21. (English)
- Geldman, Mordechai (April 2009). "Helen Berman / Nofei Hasharon (Sharon Landscapes)". Tel Aviv City (in Hebrew). Retrieved 20 May 200906.
- Geldman, Mordechai (April 2009). "Helen Berman - Sharon landscapes in: Exhibitions at the Zaritisky Artists' House". Achbar Ha'ir (in Hebrew). Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- Armon Azulay, Eli; Sa'ar, Yuval (30 April 2009). "New Exhibitions". Haaretz / Walla (in Hebrew). Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- "הלן ברמן ומרדכי גלדמן – נופי השרון - תערוכות - מדור אמנות - עכבר העיר". Mouse.co.il. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- Genesis (Catalogue). Jerusalem: Israel Association of Community Centers, 2003, page 28. (Hebrew)
- Peleg-Rotem H: "Dialogue." Globes 2007-06-19. Accessed 2008-11-15. (Hebrew)
- Gillerman D: "New Exhibitions." Haaretz 2007-06-10. Accessed 2008-11-15. (Hebrew)
- "Independence Park for Everyone - Group Exhibition", Akhbar Ha'ir 2007. Accessed 2008-06-28. (Hebrew)
- "Must See Park", Marmalade Tel Aviv, 2007-06-18. (Hebrew)