Grey Sun, 1997
|Born||Hélène Julia Cohen
6 April 1936
|Education||Kees Bol, Jan Gregoor, Thierry Veltman|
|Known for||Painting, Drawing, Design|
|Movement||Abstract expressionism, Lyrical abstraction, Postmodern art|
|Awards||Van Dissel textile design awards|
Helen Berman (born 6 April 1936) is a Dutch-Israeli visual artist. She was a textile designer in the 1960s and has been a painter and occasionally an art educator since the 1970s. She is well known in Israel and has exhibited also in Germany and the Netherlands. She created modern and postmodern art and has engaged in realistic impressionism and lyrical abstract expressionism.
Helen Berman was born in Amsterdam and as a young girl survived the Holocaust. She was trained as a textile designer at the Design Academy Eindhoven. While at the academy, she took extracurricular coursework in the free arts with Kees Bol and Jan Gregoor. After her graduation in 1960, Helen Berman designed textiles for several companies. Some of her designs were awarded prizes and publications in professional magazines.
During the seventies, Berman studied painting and drawing with Thierry Veltman, graduating with a teaching degree. In 1978, she immigrated to Israel, where she continued to refine her style. During a decade-long residence in Jaffa, she became part of the local artists' community and a member of the Israel Painters and Sculptors Association. Since 1998, she has been painting and exhibiting from her studio in Tel Mond.
- Ben-Dor, Dick (2004), Exhibition of Artists from Dutch Origins, Castra Exhibitions (in Hebrew) (ilMuseums), retrieved 28 June 2008
- Geldman, Mordechai (2009). Helen Berman: Sharon Landscapes. Israel.
- Berman, Thijs (1993). Op zoek naar George Fles (in Dutch). Amsterdam: Van Gennep. p. 27. ISBN 90-6012-992-X. "Hélène, een aangetrouwde tante die zelf de oorlog tenauwernood overleefde..."
- Berman, Helen (2002). "An Enchanted Dream Came True". Báiki (24): 22.
- "Yahudi kurtaranlara ödül". Şalom (in Turkish). 18 June 2006. Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- Helen Berman, Israeli Art Center (in Hebrew) (Jerusalem: Israel Museum), retrieved 28 June 2008
- Sneh, Nachum (27 May 1983). "View to the Past and Future in the Exhibition of a Painter Who Immigrated from the Netherlands". Kol Hanegev (in Hebrew) (Yediot Ahronot).
- "Landscape of Beer Sheva in a Solo Exhibition by Helen Berman" (in Hebrew) (603). Sheva. 20 May 1983.
- "The Paintings of Helen Berman". Kol Bi (in Hebrew) (202). 20 May 1983. p. 64.
- "Netherlands and Israel in an Exhibition". Maariv Hanegev (in Hebrew) (Maariv). 20 May 1983.
- Argov, H (16 November 1990). "Navon and Berman in the Gallery". Arim (in Hebrew) (205) (Haaretz).
- Frumer, Shula (16 November 1990). "An Optimistic Wink". Bamakom (in Hebrew).
- Peiper, Chen (2000). "Exhibition by Helen Berman". Infocus (in Dutch) (Elah).
- De Vries, Avraham (April 2003). "Helen Berman Exhibits Lyrical-Abstract Expressionism". Aleh (in Dutch) 60 (1) (Irgoen Olei Holland). p. 50.
- Goldfine, G (2003-02-21). "In the Frame". The Jerusalem Post.
- Geldman, Mordechai (April 2009). הלן ברמן // נופי השרון [Helen Berman / Nofei Hasharon (Sharon Landscapes)]. Tel Aviv City (in Hebrew). Retrieved 20 May 200906. Check date values in:
- Geldman, Mordechai (April 2009). תערוכות בבית האמנים ע"ש זריצקי - מאי [Exhibitions at the Zaritisky Artists' House, May]. Achbar Ha'ir (in Hebrew). Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- Armon Azulay, Eli; Sa'ar, Yuval (30 April 2009). "New Exhibitions". Haaretz / Walla (in Hebrew). Retrieved 6 June 2009.[dead link]
- Genesis (Catalogue). Jerusalem: Israel Association of Community Centers, 2003, page 28. (Hebrew)
- Peleg-Rotem, Hagit (2007-06-19). רב-שיח [Symposium]. Globes (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Gilerman, Dana (2007-06-06). דיוקן של כובש [Portrait of an occupation]. Haaretz (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- גן העצמאות לכולם - תערוכה קבוצתית [Independence Park for Everyone - Group Exhibition] (in Hebrew). Akhbar Ha'ir. 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- "Must See Park" (in Hebrew). Marmalade Tel Aviv. 18 June 2007.
- הלן ברמן ומרדכי גלדמן – נופי השרון - תערוכות - מדור אמנות - עכבר העיר [Helen Berman and Mordechai Geldman – Sharon landscapes – Exhibitions – Art Department – City Mouse] (in Hebrew). Mouse.co.il. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2014-05-26.