Helen Marnie at Ottawa Bluesfest in 2008
|Born||1978 (age 35–36)|
|Genres||Electronic, synthpop, new wave, dream pop|
|Instruments||Vocals, synthesizers, piano|
|Labels||Nettwerk, Les Disques Du Crépuscule|
|Korg Delta, Korg MS2000B|
Helen Marnie (born in 1978) is a Scottish musician, known as the lead vocalist and one of the keyboardists and songwriters of the electronic band Ladytron. In 2012, she started a solo career as Marnie and released her debut solo album Crystal World on 11 June 2013.
Helen Marnie was born in 1978 in Glasgow, Scotland, and grew up in the same city. She is a classically trained pianist. Marnie studied classical piano at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow. She dropped out of university in Glasgow before going on to study music at the University of Liverpool, where she received in 1999 a BA in pop music.
In the summer of 1999, Liverpudlian producers and DJs Daniel Hunt and Reuben Wu met students Helen Marnie (through various DJ gigs) and Mira Aroyo (through a mutual friend). Sharing similar interests in music, they formed the electronic band Ladytron in the same year. Since then, Marnie has performed as the lead singer of the band, and also plays synthesizers and contributes to songwriting.
On 16 September 2012, Marnie set up a PledgeMusic account to help funding the making of her album. The album was produced in 2012 in Reykjavík, Iceland by her bandmate Daniel Hunt in collaboration with the Icelandic musician Barði Jóhannsson.
Regarding her album, Marnie said that she wanted "to create an electronic album with more of a pop element and pristine vocals".
Marnie shot her first solo music video on 30 April in Glasgow with a group of friends. On 16 May 2013, she announced the cover and the title of the album, Crystal World. On 29 May 2013, Marnie premiered on her official YouTube account the music video directed by Michael Sherrington for her debut single as solo artist, "The Hunter".
After some delays, Marnie released her debut album Crystal World on 11 June 2013. After PledgeMusic copies of the CD version were delivered in July 2013, Crystal World was issued to stores by Les Disques Du Crépuscule in August 2013.
Marnie marked Record Store Day in April 2014 with a limited edition 12-inch single, The Hunter Remixed, featuring mixes by Stephen Morris (of Joy Division/New Order) and Glasgow electro radicals Roman Nose, as well as the album version of the song plus a mix of Sugarland by Mark Reeder. The single was limited to 500 copies in clear vinyl. She also released the James Slater directed music video of "Hearts on Fire" in the same day.
She claimed musical influences such as Kate Bush, Maria Callas, and Joni Mitchell. She also mentioned artists like Bat for Lashes, MGMT, Fairport Convention, Serge Gainsbourg, Grimes, and Chvrches as her favourites.
Regarding the rumours about modelling, Marnie said in a Rolling Stone interview: "I'm not really sure where the 'model' information has come from; perhaps something was mentioned in a very early press release. I've never really done proper catwalk. I only ever did a few bits and pieces along with a couple of graduate shows as a favour to friends. I am, after all, only 5' 6" [168 cm]. Far too tiny to be a model. Plus, I look kind of weird, not in that coveted model alien way. Just in a plain weird way!".
During Ladytron's live shows, Helen Marnie sings and occasionally plays one synthesizer. She played live the following instruments for the band:
- Korg M500 Micro-Preset (604 tour);
- Roland Juno 6 (Light & Magic tour);
- Korg MS2000B (Witching Hour tour);
- Roland Juno-G (early part of Velocifero tour);
- Korg Delta (Velocifero, Best of 00–10 and Gravity the Seducer tours).
Main article: Ladytron discography
- Birth place
- Hodgkinson, Will (4 December 2002). "Home entertainment: Ladytron – Culture – The Guardian". London. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- The University of Liverpool: Insight Autumn 2006 – PDF page 11
- "Album with sci-fi sheen marks a new beginning – Herald Scotland".
- "3/29 – Ladytron – 'Best Of: 00 – 10'". Nettwerk Press Blog. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Videovision: Ladytron interview". 2002. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Daniel_IV_ (24 May 2012). "Just confirmed that I'll b". Twitter. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- Marnie's project at PledgeMusic
- "An Interview with MARNIE – The Electricity Club". Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Marnie – Shooting my first ever solo music video tomorrow with a...".
- "Marnie – The Hunter (Official Video) – YouTube".
- "biyl – Interviews: Helen Marnie (Ladytron)". Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "An Interview". Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Five Questions For Ladytron " The FADER". Thefader.com. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Interview: Ladytron's Reuben Wu – Shanghai – Shanghai Blogs Blog – City Weekend Guide". Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Marnie lives in Scotland
- Colleen Nika. "Ladytron Go Glam on New Album | Colleen Nika". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Artist Details". Korg. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Helen Marnie.|
- Helen Marnie official website
- Ladytron official website
- Helen Marnie on Twitter
- Crystal World page at Crépuscule