Helen V. Milner (born 1958) is a political scientist from the United States who has written extensively on issues related to international political economy like international trade, the connections between domestic politics and foreign policy, globalization and regionalism, and the relationship between democracy and trade policy.
Since 2004 she is the B.C. Forbes Professor of Politics and International Affairs at Princeton University and the director of the Niehaus Center for Globalization and Governance at Princeton’s Woodrow Wilson School. She was the Department Chair from 2005-2011.
For the moment, she is conducting research on issues related to globalization and development, such as the political economy of foreign aid, the digital divide and the global diffusion of the internet, and the relationship between globalization and environmental policy.
Academic awards and honors
- Fellow, Bellagio Study and Conference Center, Rockefeller Foundation, Bellagio, Italy, summer 2004.
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford CA., 2001-2.
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2000–present.
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations, 2002–present.
- Research grants, Institute for Social and Economic Policy Research, Columbia University, 1999-2002.
- Social Science Research Council Advanced Research Fellowship in Foreign Policy Studies, 1989-91.
- German Marshall Fund Fellowship, 1989-90 (declined).
- Summer Fellowship, Columbia University Council for Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, 1987 and 1988.
- Sumner Prize, awarded by Harvard University for the exceptional thesis in international law and peace, June 1986.
- Kennedy Traveling Fellowship, Harvard University, 1985, dissertation research in Paris at the Atlantic Institute for International Relations.
- Research Fellowship, Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C., 1983-1984.
- Teaching Fellowship, Harvard University, 1982-1983.
- Ray Atherton Fellowship in International Relations, Harvard University, 1980-1981 and 1981-1982.
- Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University, 1979.
- Votes, Vetoes, and the Political Economy of International Trade Agreements. Co-authored with Edward Mansfield. Princeton University Press, 2012.
- Power, Interdependence, and Non-State Actors in World Politics. Coedited with Andrew Moravcsik. Princeton University Press, 2009.
- The International Library of Writings on the New Global Economy. General editor of multi-volume series. London: Edward Elgar, 2002/3.
- Political Science: The State of the Discipline III. Coedited with Ira Katznelson. NY: Norton. 2002.
- Interests, Institutions and Information: Domestic Politics and International Relations. Princeton University Press, 1997.
- The Political Economy of Economic Regionalism. Coedited with Edward Mansfield. NY: Columbia University Press, 1997.
- Internationalization and Domestic Politics. Coedited with Robert Keohane. NY: Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- The Library of International Political Economy. General editor of multi-volume series. London: Edward Elgar, 1993.
- East-West Trade and the Atlantic Alliance. Coedited with David Baldwin. NY: St. Martin's Press, 1990.
- The Political Economy of National Security: An Annotated Bibliography. Coedited with David Baldwin. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1989.
- Resisting Protectionism: Global Industries and the Politics of International Trade, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1988.
- "Who Supports Global Economic Engagement? The Sources of Preferences in American Foreign Economic Policy"  (co-authored with Dustin Tingley) in International Organization, 61, (2011), 1.
- "Regime Type, Veto Points, and Preferential Trading Arrangements" (co-authored with Edward Mansfield) in Stanford Journal of International Law, 46, (2010), 2.
- "The Center Still Holds: The Potential for Liberal Internationalism Survives" (co-authored with Stephen Chaudoin and Dustin Tingley) in International Security, 35, (2010), 1.
- "The Political Economy of U.S. Foreign Aid: American Legislators and the Domestic Politics of Aid" (co-authored with Dustin Tingley) in Economics and Politics, 22, (2010), 2.
- "Introduction: turbulences et stabilité dans les relations transatlantiques" (co-authored with Michel Girard) in Politique Etrangere, 1, (2009).
- "Globalization and Democracy: A Review Essay" (co-authored with Bumba Mukherjee) in Annual Review of Political Science, 12, (2009).
- "The Politics of Foreign Direct Investment into Developing Countries: Increasing FDI through International Trade Agreements?" (co-authored with Tim Büthe) in American Journal of Political Science, 52, (2008), 4.
- "Problems and Progress in the Study of International Organizations" in Journal of Conflict Resolution, 52, (2008), 2.
- "Democracy, Veto Players and the Depth of Regional Integration" (co-authored with Edward Mansfield and Jon Pevehouse) in The World Economy, 31, (2008), 1.
- "International Trade and Environmental Policy in the Postcommunist World" (co-authored with Liliana Andonova and Edward Mansfield) in Comparative Political Studies, 40,(2007), 7.
- "Vetoing Cooperation: The Impact of Veto Players on International Trade Agreements" in British Journal of Political Science, 36, (2006), 4.
- "The Digital Divide: The Role of Domestic Political Institutions in the Spread of the Internet" in Comparative Political Studies, 39, (2006), x.
- "Globalization, Development, and International Institutions: Normative and Positive Perspectives" in Perspectives on Politics, 3, (2005),4.
- "Why the Move to Free Trade? Democracy and Trade Policy in the Developing Countries" (co-authored with Keiko Kubota) in International Organization, x, 2005, x.
- "Partisanship, Trade Policy and Globalization: Is there a Left-Right Party Divide on Trade Policy?" (co-authored with Benjamin Judkins) in International Studies Quarterly, 48, 2004,1, pp. 95–119.
- "Why Democracies Cooperate More: Electoral Control and International Trade Agreements" (co-authored with Edward Mansfield and B. Peter Rosendorff in International Organization,56, (2002), 3, pp. 477–513.
- "Replication, Realism, and Robustness: Analyzing Political Regimes and International Trade" (co-authored with Edward Mansfield and B. Peter Rosendorff) in American Political Science Review, 96, (2002), 1, pp. 167–169.
- "The Optimal Design of International Institutions: Why Escape Clauses are Essential." (co-authored with B. Peter Rosendorff) in International Organization, 55, (2001), 4, pp. 829–857.
- "Product Standards and International and Regional Competition." (co-authored with Marc Austin) in Journal of European Public Policy, 8, (2001), 3, pp. 411–431.
- "Free to Trade? Democracies, Autocracies, and International Trade Negotiations." (co-authored with Edward Mansfield and B. Peter Rosendorff) in American Political Science Review, 94, (2000), 2, pp. 305–322.
- "The Political Economy of Regionalism" (co-authored with Edward Mansfield) in International Organization, 53, (1999), 3, pp. 589–627.
- "The Political Economy of International Trade." in Annual Review of Politics, 2, (1999), x, pp. 91–114.
- "Rationalizing Politics: The Emerging Synthesis of International, American and Comparative Politics" in International Organization, 52, (1998), 4, pp. 759–786.
- "International Political Economy: Beyond American Hegemony." in Foreign Policy, x, (1998), 110, pp. 112–124. 
- "Democratic Politics and International Trade Negotiations: Elections and Divided Government as Constraints on Trade Liberalization" (co-authored with B. Peter Rosendorff) in Journal of Conflict Resolution, 41, (1997), 1, pp. 117–146.
- "Trade Negotiations, Information and Domestic Politics." (coauthored with B. Peter Rosendorff) in Economics and Politics, 8, (1996), 2, pp. 145–189.
- "Regional Economic Cooperation, Global Markets and Domestic Politics: A Comparison of NAFTA and the Maastricht Treaty" in Journal of European Public Policy, 2, (1995), 3, pp. 337–360.
- "American Debt and World Power" in International Journal, 43, (1993), 3, pp. 527–560.
- "International Theories of Cooperation among Nations: A Review Essay," in World Politics, 44, (1992), 3, pp. 466–496.
- "The Assumption of Anarchy in International Relations: A Critique," in Review of International Studies, 17, (1991), 1, pp. 67–85.
- "An Alternative to Free Trade or Protectionism: Why Corporations Seek Strategic Trade Policy" (co-authored with David Yoffie) in California Management Review, 31, (1989), 4, pp. 111–131.
- "Domestic and International Sources of Economic Cooperation: Oil Politics in the 1940s and 1970s" in International Spectator, 24, (1989), 3/4, pp. 141–151.
- "Between Free Trade and Protectionism: Strategic Trade Policy and a Theory of Corporate Preferences" (co-authored with David Yoffie) in International Organization, 43, (1989), 2, pp. 239–272.
- "Trading Places: Industries for Free Trade" in World Politics, 40, (1988), 3, pp. 350–376.
- "Lost Hegemony?" (co-authored with Jack Snyder) in International Organization, 42, (1988), 4, pp. 749–50.
- "Resisting the Protectionist Temptation: Industry and the Making of Trade Policy in France and the US in the 1970s" in International Organization, 41, (1987), 4, pp. 639–665.