Helen Tager-Flusberg, Ph.D., is a professor in the Department of Psychology at Boston University and the Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM). She is the Director of the BU Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Program.
Personal life and education
Tager-Flusberg was born in England and received her Bachelor's Degree from the University College London in psychology. She moved to the US in the 1970s and obtained her PhD in Experimental Psychology from Harvard University in 1978. Her dissertation "investigated whether children with autism understand syntax, or the grammatical rules of language".
She was a professor at the University of Massachusetts (UMass) until 2001, and between 1996 and 2001, she was a Senior Scientist at the UMass Medical Center. She has been at Boston University since 2001.
She is on the editorial boards of Autism, the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, and Autism Research; and an Associate Editor of the British Journal of Psychology and the Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders.
Recognition and other achievements
Ken Wexler, a professor of cognitive science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said: "If you asked somebody, 'Who are the famous people studying language in autism?' she's the first name to come to mind."
As of 2012, Tager-Flusberg had edited four books and published more than 170 journal articles and individual chapters in books; some of her books are:
- Tager-Flusberg, Helen (2005). Autism And Williams Syndrome. Essays in Developmental Psychology. UK: Psychology Press. ISBN 978-1841690087.
- Tager-Flusberg, Helen (1993). Constraints on Language Acquisition: Studies of Atypical Children. L. Erlbaum Associates. ISBN 978-0805806670.
- Tager-Flusberg, Helen (1999). Neurodevelopmental Disorders. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. A Bradford Book. ISBN 978-0262201162.
- Baron-Cohen, Simon; Tager-Flusberg, Helen; Cohen, Donald J., ed. (2000). Understanding Other Minds: Perspectives from Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0198524465.
- Cohen, Donald J.; Baron-Cohen, Simon; Tager-Flusberg, Helen, ed. (1994). Understanding Other Minds: Perspectives from Autism. Oxford Medical Publications. ISBN 978-0192620569.
- "Lab Director, Research on Autism and Developmental Disorders". Boston University. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Helen Tager-Flusberg, PhD". Boston University. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- Hughes, Virginia (November 24, 2011). "Helen Tager-Flusberg: Decoding the language of autism". SFARI: Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Helen Tager-Flusberg, Ph.D., M.I.N.D. Institute Distinguished Lecturer Series" (PDF). MIND Institute. December 12, 2012. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Scientific Advisory Board Biographies". Autism Speaks. Retrieved January 1, 2014.