Helensvale State High School
Helensvale High School is a public secondary school located in the northern suburb of Helensvale on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. It is situated on the corner of Discovery Drive and Helensvale Road. The school first opened in 1990 with Rod Cassidy as the foundation principal. The School motto is Endeavour, Discover, Succeed.
Helensvale High caters for a large catchment of students, with nearly 2,000 enrolments, making it one of the biggest high schools in the Gold Coast region.
Helensvale High commenced in 1990 with barely 200 students and a small staff, numbering 12, led by the inaugural principal, Mr Rod Cassidy. Students came from a wide feeder area, as far north as Jacob's Well, west to Mount Tamborine and south to Gaven, as well as the rapidly growing Helensvale area. Helensvale was the only high school in the area other than Coombabah State High School.
During 1990 all students studied a core of subjects at the year 8 level in the block that is now the Home Economics Block. During this year, staff, students and parents planned the style of school they wished to develop, choosing subjects, planning teaching and learning styles, planning sporting activities as well as performance projects.
During the first five years specialist buildings, including the SAC (Student Activity Centre), which was a state-of-the-art building for education facilities in Queensland and the Performing Arts Centre, the Resource Centre and the Manual Arts Building were planned.
The school was involved in a case which was "believed to be the first Queensland case involving a former student suing over alleged bullying by teachers over mobile phone use".
Sports supported include australian rules football, basketball, netball, rugby union, tennis, soccer and track and field.
Helensvale offers its students a variety of arts subjects including music, dance and drama. All students are encouraged to engage in extra-curricular activities such as the Gold Coast Drama Festival, Estiedfords and School Musicals.
Helensvale offers its students an array of opportunities in the Performing Arts:
- Gold Coast Drama Festival
- Rock Eisteddfod
- Gold Coast Eisteddfod
- School Musical (e.g., Grease, Fame and Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat)
- Dance Ed in the Spotlight
- Cheerleadering Competitions
- Andrew Boston - AFL player for the Gold Coast Suns
- Michael Osborne - AFL player for the Hawthorn Hawks
- Rory Thompson - AFL player for the Gold Coast Suns
- Sam Stosur Tennis and Australian Fed Cup team member
- Sally Pearson - Australian representative to the 2012 Olympics in Athletics
- Michael Shelley - Australian representative to the 2012 Olympics in Athletics
- Gene Munro - Rugby League Captain of Scotland A in 2013
- "Full Gold Coast school capacity information". Goldcoast.com.au. News Limited. May 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- Dibben, Kay (November 7, 2009). "Student 'harassed' for using mobile phone to call sick dad". Courier Mail. Queensland Newspapers. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "London 2012 - Sally Pearson Athlete Profile". Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "London 2012 - Michael Shelley Athlete Profile". Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Storm quartet get Scotland call-up". Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- HSHS Website http://www.helensvaleshs.eq.edu.au/