|Part of a series on
|Tactics & Equipment|
Aerial firefighting · Controlled burn · Driptorch · Fire apparatus · Firebreak · Fire fighting foam · Fire hose · Fire lookout tower · Fire retardant · Fire-retardant gel · Fire trail · Helicopter bucket · Hose Pack · Pulaski · Wildland fire engine · Wildland fire tender
A helicopter bucket is a specialised bucket suspended on a cable carried by a helicopter to deliver water for aerial firefighting. Each bucket has a release valve on the bottom which is controlled by the helicopter crew. When the helicopter is in position, the crew releases the water to extinguish or suppress the fire below. Each release of the water is referred to as a drop. The design of the buckets allows the helicopter to hover over a water source – such as a lake, river, pond, or tank – and lower the bucket into the water to refill it. This allows the helicopter crew to operate the bucket in remote locations without the need to return to a permanent operating base, reducing the time between successive drops.
Buckets can be collapsible or rigid and vary in capacity from 72 to 2,600 U.S. gallons (60 to 2,165 imperial gallons; 273 to 9,842 liters). The size of each bucket is determined by the lifting capacity of the helicopter required to utilise each version. Some buckets can include fire retardant foam or the ability to pump water from the bucket into an internal tank. Smaller collapsible buckets can use water sources as shallow as 1 foot (30.5 cm). Worldwide, the term monsoon bucket is widely used and accepted as a generic term. In the United States, this type of bucket is officially referred to as a helibucket. The trademarked Bambi Bucket is also commonly used informally by firefighting crews to describe buckets developed by other manufacturers.
- A-Flex Firefighting Monsoon Bucket
- Collapsible bucket produced by A-Flex Technology.
- Bambi Bucket
- Collapsible bucket developed by Canadian Don Arney and produced by SEI Industries since 1983.
- CLOUDBURST Fire Bucket
- Collapsible bucket produced by IMSNZ Ltd.
- FAST Bucket
- Variable Drop, fire fighting bucket that allows the pilot to select drop patterns for bush fires to canopy fires. manufactured by Absolute Fire Solutions.
- HELiFIRE Monsoon Bucket
- Collapsible bucket produced by Fire & Rescue New Zealand, a non-governmental rural fire service.
- Water Hog Bucket
- Lightweight, collapsible, free-standing bucket developed and produced by Aerial Fire Control Pty Ltd since 2001.
- Glossary of Wildland Fire Terminology, National Wildfire Coordinating Group, pms205, October 2006
- A-Flex Technology. "The A-Flex Firefighting Monsoon Bucket". Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- SEI Industries (2005). "Bambi Bucket". Archived from the original on 2007-11-12. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- IMSNZ ltd. "Collapsible Helicopter Fire Bucket". Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- Absolute Fire Solutions. "FAST Bucket". Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Fire & Rescue New Zealand. "COLLAPSIBLE HELICOPTER MONSOON BUCKET". Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Aerial Fire Control Pty Ltd. "Water Hog Bucket". Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- Media related to Helicopter bucket at Wikimedia Commons