Hell in a Cell (2011)
|Hell in a Cell (2011)|
Promotional poster featuring John Cena
|Tagline(s)||John Cena Goes to Hell|
|"Set the World on Fire" by Black Veil Brides|
|Date||October 2, 2011|
|Venue||New Orleans Arena|
|City||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Hell in a Cell chronology|
Hell in a Cell (2011) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view event produced by WWE and presented by WowWee's Light Strike that took place on October 2, 2011 at the New Orleans Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana. It was the third annual Hell in a Cell event. Seven matches took place at the event. The event received 182,000 pay-per-view buys, down from 210,000 buys the previous year.
Hell in a Cell featured professional wrestling matches which involve different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds, plots, and storylines that played out on WWE's television programs. Wrestlers portrayed villains or heroes as they followed a series of events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
The main rivalry from Raw involved the WWE Championship. On September 18, 2011, John Cena defeated Alberto Del Rio at Night of Champions to become the ten-time WWE Champion. On the following night's episode of Raw, WWE COO Triple H announced the first-ever Triple Threat Hell in a Cell match, in which Cena would defend his title against Alberto Del Rio and CM Punk, giving Punk the rematch clause he never received.
The main rivalry from SmackDown involved the World Heavyweight Championship. On September 18, 2011, Mark Henry defeated Randy Orton at Night of Champions to win his first ever World Title. On the following night's episode of Raw, SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long announced that Orton would invoke his rematch clause at Hell in a Cell, and that the rematch would take place inside that structure.
|1D||Daniel Bryan defeated JTG by submission||Singles match||N/A|
|2||Sheamus defeated Christian||Singles match||13:42|
|3||Sin Cara Azul defeated Sin Cara Negro||Singles match||9:46|
|4||Air Boom (Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston) (c) defeated Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler (with Vickie Guerrero)||Tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship||10:47|
|5||Mark Henry (c) defeated Randy Orton||Hell in a Cell match for the World Heavyweight Championship||15:58|
|6||Cody Rhodes (c) defeated John Morrison||Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship||7:20|
|7||Beth Phoenix (with Natalya) defeated Kelly Kelly (c) (with Eve Torres)||Singles match for the WWE Divas Championship||8:41|
|8||Alberto Del Rio (with Ricardo Rodriguez) defeated John Cena (c) and CM Punk||Triple threat Hell in a Cell match for the WWE Championship||24:09|
After Hell In A Cell, the feud between Christian and Sheamus continued over the next couple of weeks, they fought each other and a match was made between the two again at Vengeance, which Sheamus won.
The feud over the WWE Tag Team championships ended at Vengeance, which Bourne and Kingston won.
The feud between Mark Henry and Randy Orton ended and Mark Henry continued his feud with The Big Show. AT WWE Capital Punishment, during Show's match with Alberto Del Rio, Henry attacked Show before the match and put him through the announce table. A match between Big Show and Mark Henry was made at Money In The Bank. At Money In The Bank, Mark Henry won the match. After the match Henry attacked Show and injured Big Show's ankle, which put Big Show out of action for 3 months. On the Smackdown following Hell in the Cell, Show returned and attacked Henry. A match was set up between the two at Vengeance and it was for the World Heavyweight championship. At Vengeance during the match, Big Show superplexed Mark Henry and the ring collapsed, so it ended in a no contest. A match was set up at Survivor Series, Big Show won by Disqualification. Smackdown general manager, Teddy Long then made a match between Show and Henry at TLC and announced that it would be a Chairs Match. At TLC, Big Show won the World Heavyweight championship, but after the match Show was attacked by Henry which allowed Daniel Bryan to cash in his Money In The Bank contract and win the World Heavyweight championship. At Royal Rumble 2012, both Big Show and Mark Henry challenged Daniel Bryan for the World Heavyweight championship, which Bryan retained.
After Hell in a Cell, Cody Rhodes started a feud with former Legacy member, Randy Orton, which led to the match between the two at Vengeance, which Orton won after a RKO.
At the conclusion of Hell In The Cell, The Miz and R Truth came from under the ring and attacked Punk, Cena, and Del Rio to get revenge for being fired. All the superstars (faces and heels), security officers, and COO Triple H went to the Cell to get in but it was locked. R Truth knocked out a cameraman who is in the cell. A couple minutes in the attack, the New Orleans Police Department show up trying all they can to get in. Then a man with bolt cutters showed up, and they finally broke the lock. After Miz and Truth were arrested, WWE COO Triple H attacked Truth and Miz. The incident caused every WWE superstar, diva, broadcaster, ring announcer, referee, and cameraman to all walk out on Triple H. The next week on Raw, Triple H cut a promo about the walkout. The only three superstars that did not walk out were Sheamus, CM Punk, and John Cena. They all expressed the opinions. A match was set up between Sheamus and Cena with Triple H as referee, and CM Punk as the commentator, and the bell ringer. During the match, WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon interrupted it to tell Triple H that the WWE Board of Directors said that Triple H couldn't control Raw and named John Laurinaitis the new General Manager. All the people that walked out, came back in the arena and congratulated the general manager. Laurinaitis then rehired The Miz and R Truth and they attacked Triple H and CM Punk. A match was made at Vengeance, which put Triple H and CM Punk against The Miz and R Truth, which Truth and Miz won thanks to the interference from Kevin Nash. Nash attacked Triple H with his sledgehammer. Triple H returned and attacked Nash, which led to their match at TLC in a Ladder Match. At TLC Triple H defeated Kevin Nash.
- "Hell in a Cell 2011". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- "WWE presents Hell in a Cell". Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- Mrosko, Geno (27 September 2011). "WWE Hell in a Cell 2011 match card -- Updated after Raw". Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Adler, Jim (27 September 2011). "Four Matches Set For WWE Hell In A Cell, Match Set For Tonight’s SD! Taping". Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "WWE Reports 2011 Fourth Quarter and Full Year Results" (Press release). WWE. February 23, 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment of WWE". WWE. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Murphy, Ryan (2011-09-18). "John Cena def. Alberto Del Rio (New WWE Champion)". WWE. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Adkins, Greg (2011-09-19). "WWE Raw SuperShow results: Miz & Truth fired". WWE. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- Burdick, Michael (2011-09-18). "Mark Henry def. Randy Orton (New World Heavyweight Champion)". WWE. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "WWE Hell in a Cell pre-show dark match result". Pro Wrestling.net. Retrieved 2 October 2011.[unreliable source?]
- "Christian vs. Sheamus". WWE. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "Sin Cara vs. Sin Cara". WWE. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "WWE Tag Team Champions Air Boom vs. Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler". WWE. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- "WWE World Heavyweight Championship Hell in a Cell Match". WWE. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "WWE Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes vs. John Morrison". WWE. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- "WWE Divas Champion Kelly Kelly vs. Beth Phoenix". WWE. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- "WWE Championship Triple Threat Hell in a Cell Match". WWE. Retrieved 20 September 2011.