looking toward the Hellendoorn town centre
Location in Overijssel
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Anneke Raven (CDA)|
|• Total||138.99 km2 (53.66 sq mi)|
|• Land||138.07 km2 (53.31 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.92 km2 (0.36 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||258/km2 (670/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||0546, 0548|
There is an amusement park near the town of Hellendoorn called Avonturenpark Hellendoorn.
The municipality comprises:
- Eelen en Rhaan
- Haarle, Hellendoorn
- Hulsen (Overijssel)
- Marle, Hellendoorn
- Noetsele (former hamlet, now an integrated part of Nijverdal)
The central part of the municipality consists of a hilly and sparsely populated area that extends south into the municipality of Rijssen-Holten, called the Sallandse Heuvelrug (Salland Ridge). The highest point lies at about 70 metres (230 ft) above sea level and is part of the Noetselerberg . A large chunk of the area is covered by forest, but there are also heathlands. This scenery is now part of the Sallandse Heuvelrug National Park.
Originally part of the region of Salland, Hellendoorn is now administratively considered part of Twente; a fact reflected in the inclusion of Hellendoorn in the city region of Twente (Kaderwetgebied Regio Twente) as defined by the Dutch government.
The municipality of Hellendoorn is the only place in the Netherlands where gold mining took place.
The Germans operated a V-2 launching platform near the town of Hellendoorn during World War II, harassing the city of London.
On March, 22nd 1945, Nijverdal was severely bombed by allied bombers who were going after the German Reichskommissar of Austrian origin Arthur Seyss-Inquart. Seyss-Inquart was fleeing the advancing Allied forces and had set up his temporary headquarters in the Reformed School in Nijverdal, but had already left town at the time of the bombing. Over 70 people were killed, mainly at de Grotestraat.
A small part of the film A Bridge Too Far was filmed near Hellendoorn.
In 1955, part of the municipality of Wierden was annexed (Eversberg, Konijnenbelt, Slettenhaar and Lochter) which is the only part of the municipality located on originally Twente soil. In the late 70's the quarter of 'het Lochter' arose here.
- "Burgemeester en wethouders" [Mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Hellendoorn. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7442MA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.