Hellenic Military Geographical Service
Established in 1889 as the “Geodetic Mission” with the purpose of compiling the “Topographic and Cadastral Map of the Country”, the service acquired its current name in 1926. Today it supports both the Greek Army and the general public with cartographic products.
HMGS supplies City Plans of scales 1:5.000, 1:10.000 and 1:25.000 in Greek and Latin series
HMGS produces and supplies topographic maps of various scales that cover the whole country and occasionally parts of neighbouring countries. It should be emphasised that not all maps noted below are available to public, since part of them is confidential and available only upon approval of HMGS. Although not a state monopoly and not very famous among hikers, certainly HMGS maps have a much wider coverage in small scales than commercial leisure maps. The maps used the Hellenic Geodetic Reference System 1987 (HGRS87 or ΕΓΣΑ'87) which specifies a Transverse Mercatorial Projection mapping Greece in one zone.
- 1:25.000 scale - 26 maps available for regions near Athens
- 1:50.000 scale - approximately 385 maps
- 1:100.000 scale - around 130 maps available
- 1:250.000 scale - 32 maps available
- 1:500.000 scale - 10 maps available
- 1:1.000.000 scale - 5 maps available
The products and services of HMGS are not available in the market. They can either be purchased using the e-shop of the service or collected from the offices of the service upon submitting the relevant request form.
- a brief history of GYS can be found in the Service's website (in Greek/English), http://web.gys.gr/portal/page?_pageid=33,36335&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL