Hellions of Troy
|Metro area||Troy, New York|
|Teams||Hellions of Troy|
|Venue||Rollarama Skating Center, Schenectady, NY|
Hellions of Troy Roller Derby (HoTRD) is a women's flat track roller derby league based in the New York's Capital Region. They are members of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association and play under the association's rules. A core tenet of the Hellions is community philanthropy, with a portion of proceeds from all hosted bouts going to charity.
June 6, 2009 Home vs. Assault City Roller Derby (Syracuse, NY) Hellions 109 ACRD 89
February 15, 2009 Home vs. Ice Queens (Ithaca/Syracuse pickup team) Hellions 102 Ice Queens 131
The Hellions of Troy originally formed when several members left the Albany All Stars in September 2008 for various reasons. The split over athleticism vs. entertainment was the subject of much regional press and public commentary.
The Hellions spent the winter of 2008 practicing and bouting at the Fun Spot in Glens Falls. Negotiations for the Hellions 2009 summer season at the Glens Falls Civic Center began in October 2008 and continued through the Hellions' December bout against the Green Mountain Derby Dames and into 2009. In March 2009, the league announced its inaugural six-bout season in Troy, NY.
The Hellions have been involved in a number of different community activities, including making multiple appearances at Troy Night Out, at Monument Square in Troy, NY. The Hellions also split their efforts on 6/14/09 when they skated in both the Troy Flag Day Parade and Albany Gay Pride Parade.
- Times Union 03/13/2009 Local rollergirls find similarities in documentary film about the roots of modern derby
- The Troy Record 05/04/2009 Hellions of Troy Ready to Roll
- Saratoga Post Star 03/16/2009 Amanda's House helps families in need
- "Stats". Hellions of Troy Roller Derby. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Scores". Derby News Network. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Derby News Network
-  Derby News Network
- "Calamity Janes 157, Hellions of Troy 85 –". Mainerollerderby.com. 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- The Ithacan Online 10/23/2008 That's how they roll
- Albany Times Union 10/3/2008 Roller Derby Team Splits
- Times Union 12/6/2008 Derby team may roll north
- All Over Albany 10/7/2008 The Big Local Roller Derby Bust Up
- All Over Albany 2/2/2009 Jamming Since the Beginning
- All Over Albany 1/2/2009 The most popular items on AOA for 2008: October
- Glens Falls Post Star 10/30/2008 Get Ready for Rolling Excitement
- Glens Falls Post Star 12/9/2008 Hellions on Wheels
- All Over Albany 3/25/2009 Hellions of Troy Throw Down in Frear Park
- "WFTDA accepts 14 leagues into apprentice program", WFTDA, 27 October 2011
- "WFTDA Welcomes 14 New Members", 3 December 2012
- Hellions of Troy Official site