Hello, Hello, I'm Back Again
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
"Hello, Hello, I'm Back Again" is a 1973 hit single performed by Gary Glitter and co-written by Glitter and his producer Mike Leander. The title of the song is only sung once and as a result other more frequent sung lines have become alternative titles, these include "It's Good to Be Back" and "Did You Miss Me?". Sometimes the title is shortened to simply "Hello, Hello".
The song is about a man calling his lover after being away for some time and begins with "Did you miss me (yeah), while I was away?", with "Hello, hello, it's good to be back... Good to be back" sung repeatedly in the chorus. It reached number 2 in the United Kingdom, charting in several other countries and remained a popular oldie for decades. The song has been featured on a number of Glitter compilations and live albums since, as well as his 1973 studio album, Touch Me. In 1995 the song returned to the UK charts when Glitter re-recorded it, under the title "Hello, Hello, I'm Back Again (Again!)".
- Glitter performed lyrics from "Hello, Hello, I'm Back Again" in The KLF's "Gary In The Tardis", found on the 1988 single "Doctorin' the Tardis".
- Apocalypse Hoboken did a cover of the song on 1995's 10" album Jerk Lesson.
- They Might Be Giants side-project band Mono Puff covered the song in their 1996 debut LP Unsupervised.
- The opening track of British rock group Oasis's 1995 album (What's the Story) Morning Glory? "Hello" borrows from the song both lyrically and stylistically, and as such was credited to Noel Gallagher, Gary Glitter and Mike Leander on the album cover.
- German techno group Scooter sampled the song on their single "Hello! (Good To Be Back)" from the 2005 album Who's Got the Last Laugh Now?.
- The American band Shivaree covered the song in their 2007 cover album Tainted Love: Mating Calls and Fight Songs.
- The Norwegian band Turbonegro has used the chorus as an extension of their song "The Age of Pamparius".
- The Hamilton punk rock band Forgotten Rebels covered the song on their 1981 album "This Aint Hollywood..."
- Guitarist John Frusciante did an impromptu cover of the chorus of the song in Rio de Janeiro during a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in 2000, and again in 2001 in Argentina.
The Young Gods cover
|"Did You Miss Me?"|
|Single by The Young Gods|
|from the album The Young Gods|
|B-side||"The Irrtum Boys"|
|Recorded||Artag Studio, Zurich|
|The Young Gods singles chronology|
- "Did You Miss Me? Hello, Hello I'm Back Again!" - 3:22
- "The Irrtum Boys" - 2:41