|Origin||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Genres||Indie music; avant-pop; pop-rock; synthpop|
|Years active||2005 – present|
|Labels||Mun Records / EMI / Nacional Records / Magic Marker|
|Members||Oro De Neta (Fernando Burgos),
Bonnz! (Gabriel G. De León),
Lo Blondo (Denise Gutiérrez),
Joe (José Borunda)
Hello Seahorse! is a Mexican alternative pop band formed in 2005 in Mexico City. The band gained quick recognition as one of the leading acts in Mexican rock pop, placing their first commercial single "Bestia" on regular radio airplay by November 2008. Early releases such as the EP Hoy a las Ocho featured lyrics in both English and Spanish, though latest tracks are solely in the latter; these however deal about nonsense or surrealistic themes. The band's second album Bestia was released on May 19, 2009. The track "Bestia" from that album won the "song of the year" award at Mexico's 2009 "Indie-O Music Awards" ceremony. At the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards Latinoamérica, they were nominated for and won the "La Zona" award. Also in 2009, they were nominated for best alternative song at the Latin Grammy Awards, but they lost to Calle 13, and the next year they were nominated in the same category with the song Criminal. Hello Seahorse! has shared stage with bands such as Beastie Boys, Jarvis Cocker, Clinic and The Killers.
Hello Seahorse's current line-up comprises a female vocalist and lyricist, and male keyboardist and drummer with no guitarist. The band used however to be a trio, then a quartet, and a trio again by 2009:
- Denise Gutiérrez (Lo Blondo), lead vocals, lyrics. Gutierrez was born in Van Nuys, California, but raised in Mexico City. She met keyboardist Oro de Neta and drummer Bonnz via a MySpace ad for a singer.
- Oro de Neta - (Fernando Burgos, born May 1984) piano, keyboards, bass, Synth
- Bonnz! - (Gabriel G. De León, previously known as Bonno, born November 1984) drums, guitar
- Joe - (José Borunda) guitar, bass, piano
- Julio Muñoz - Now plays in the emo/math rock band No Somos Marineros (born 1982) guitar
- Studio albums
- ...and the Jellyfish Parade (2006)
- Hoy a las Ocho. (2007) was released on Magic Marker records two years later in the US.
- Bestia (2009)
- Lejos. No Tan Lejos (2010)
- Arunima (2012)
...and the Jellyfish Parade.
Hoy a las Ocho.
- "Won't Say Anything"
Lejos. No Tan Lejos.
- "Casa Vacía"
- "Un Año Quebrado"
- "Me Has Olvidado"
- "Velo De Novia"
- "Para Mi"
- "La Flotadera"
- "No Es Que No Te Quiera"
- "Excélsior: Hello Seahorse!, por el placer de la música". Retrieved July 23, 2009.[dead link]
- "Prodigy MSN: Hello Seahorse! estrena el disco "Bestia"". Retrieved July 23, 2009.[dead link]
- "Hello Seahorse!". Retrieved July 27, 2009.
- "De10: Hello Seahorse!, un pequeño tesoro". Retrieved July 27, 2009.
- "Pop & Hiss". The Los Angeles Times. September 25, 2009.
|This article on a band or other musical ensemble from Mexico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|