Hello World (song)
|Single by Lady Antebellum|
|from the album Need You Now|
|Released||October 4, 2010|
|Format||Airplay, music download|
|Length||5:26 album version
4:27 radio version
|Lady Antebellum singles chronology|
"Hello World" is a song written by Tom Douglas, Tony Lane and David Lee, and recorded by American country music group Lady Antebellum. It was released in October 2010 as the fourth single from their album Need You Now. The song was scheduled to be released to country radio on 4 October 2010, but debuted on the Hot Country Songs chart at number 53 one week prior to its official release. "Hello World" was performed at the 2010 CMA Awards.
"Hello World" received mixed reviews from critics. Matt Bjorke of Roughstock called it "a song that hits all the right notes from the very first chord" and calls the lyrics "completely universal in the fact that everyone feels pressured by the world around them at some time and they forget to take pleasures in the little simplicities of life, like the waving hand and smile of a child, getting in touch with your faith, and how the simple things in life are really what it’s all about." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a C rating, calling it "a running narration of the most boring drive through town ever" and saying that it "sounds like little more than Bruce Springsteen at his most self-indulgent." Engine 145 reviewer Karlie Justus gave it a thumbs-down, saying that the song "would work better as fodder for [Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler–or any other comedic duo–as a left-of-the-mark Saturday Night Live skit than a pseudo-inspirational anthem for country radio" but saying that Hillary Scott’s vocals are "a shimmering bright spot amidst the heavy-handedness."
"Hello World" debuted at number 53 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of October 9, 2010. It also debuted at number 70 on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending November 27, 2010. It also debuted at number 96 on Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of November 27, 2010. It peaked at number 6 on the country chart in March 2011, becoming Lady Antebellum's first single to miss the Top 5 since "Lookin' for a Good Time" peaked at number 11 in 2008.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||70|
|US Billboard Hot 100||58|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||6|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||40|
- ""Hello World" To Be Featured On CBS Hit Drama NCIS". LadyAntebellum.com. January 14, 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Lady Antebellum - Hello World". Roughstock. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "Review of Hello World". Country Universe. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Justus, Karlie. "Lady Antebellum — "Hello World"". Engine 145. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- "Top Country Music Videos". Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "ABC Music Lounge". Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- "Lady Antebellum Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Lady Antebellum. Retrieved November 18, 2010.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.